cant boot my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

wah

Solid State Member
nothing shows on my monitor when i turn it on.
the harddisk, fan works fine.

but the heatsink is cold, which mean my cpu is cold too.

since there are lights on my pc case,
so i dont think that the mb is damaged.

then i installed the "D-Bracket 2" on the pc.
it was a thing which came with the mb and which use graphic signals to help users understanding their system.

if the cpu is not installed properly or damaged,
then it will show 4 red lights. and it did show 4 red lights! :\

then my friend came to me today and tried his cpu on my mb.
but the results was the same!

why? those 4 lights are confusing me.
its impossible that his cpu is damaged too.

if my cpu is dead:
then why wouldn't my friend's cpu work on my mb?

if my mb is dead:
then why i have lights, and the fan is running?

and why can my cpu be dead if the hsf is working? ????

Please list your statistics - ie proc, mobo, ram, etc

Test your processor in your friends PC. Try and test the major compenents of your machine: RAM, HD, re-seat and inspect the contacts on the video card, ram and and cables - even the Monitor...but I'm willing to bet it is the motherboard.

Even thought you get the lights, a bad capicitor or other defect might cause the problem and the fan gets power from a power tap or maybe even a lead from the power supply directly. And I don't think the four lights test for as muich as it does/shold with reguards to the enitre circuitry of the motherboard - I can't back this up though.

There have been motherboards with bad histories...ie made bad batch of low quality electronics that make it to market, check yours online to see if 'fits' w/ other complaints.. And I've had motherboards too close or touching something in the case which cause problems...

Hope this helps, I know that some of my suggestions aren't exactlly 'unobvious,' I was not intending to be pretentious. Hope you get it working!

chalk

thanks chalk!

i have a "MSI KT4V" mb,
512 DDR ram,
AMD ATHLON XP 1800 +,
32 MB geforce PCI,
80MB HD WESTERN DIGITAL,

and my friends mb didn't support my cpu.
my friend tried an ATHLON 1 GHZ thunderbird on my mb.
didn't work...

but 2 cpus with the same results, so it must be the mb?

It can be the motherboard!

Damn, I had this same problem with my computer! Tried 2 different CPU's and it came out to be the same as yours but I forgot what it was! At the moment I thought knowing what it was in the future wouldnt come in handy! :(

I have the same mobo when i first put it together it woldnt boot it was a bad ram stick.Dont know if thats your problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom