Can I run a hard drive and dvd on the same IDE cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Need to know how many cables I need to order. I ordered OEM parts from newegg and I assume they don't have cables included.

If it was me I would order (2) cables. BTW, look into ROUND cables.

Put the Hard Drive on the "Primary" IDE connector as the "Master" device.

Put the DVD Drive on the "Secondary" IDE Connector as "Master" Device.

If you have a second CD/DVD drive put it on the "Secondary" IDE connector as the "Slave" device.

A second Hard Drive put on the "Primary" IDE connector as the "Slave"
device.

This is MO..........

To answer your original question, yes you could but it isnt the most
beneficial setup.

If you do run both drives on the "Primary" IDE connector:
Hard Drive as "Master" device
DVD Drive as "Slave" device

it can be done but not recommended. supposedly runningb an optical drive and a hdd on the same channel produces interference. im not too sure about the accuracy of this but in an old computer i did notice i had some problems when i had a cd-rom and hdd both on the primary (i only did it because at the time i didn't have enough cables). also it is a good idea (like the 1st post) to get rounded cables they not only make things a lot easier but they make for more efficient cooling

i've read that if u connect them both on the same cable, the faster device runs at the speed of the slower device. correct me if im wrong

If you put them both on the same cable, and say you wanted to copy something from the DVD burner to the HDD, than they cannot work on the same time. The DVD burner will read it, than it will be written onto the HDD. They cannot read and write at the same time. If you have them on seperate cables, than they can read and write at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom