Buying a good laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meck

In Runtime
I want to buy a good laptop, which i can use for playing games and well school work. I have a budget from $ 1000 to $ 1500. Would prefer a pentium processor, but it is not that important. AMD will also do.....

Please help me.....

If you guys do not know any laptops, can you atleast recommend some good sites.

Problem with Dell laptops is often the portability factor. The lighter ones have much less power. Gateways, in my opinion, are better designed, but are definetly more expensive.

If you've definetly decided on an Intel CPU you probably should consider whether you want a Centrino or a Pentium.

I have heard mixed feelings about the Centrino. It is definetly better for the extremely portable machine, but I have also heard from an owner that despite its processing optimizations, it is simply not as fast as a Pentium...which seems to imply that if you want a gaming laptop, you should still lean towards the P4.

If you are probably going to get a Dell machine, my brother recently purchased an Inspiron 5150. Nice machine. On the heavy and bulky side, but it features a P4 (desktop version) clocked at 3.06 GHz and the machine still seems to keep an incredible 4 hours of battery life (I really don't understand it). On the Centrino side of things they have the Inspiron 8600 with a widescreen display.

Whatever you get, I would highly recommend at least 512 MB of RAM, and a 64 MB Graphics card (NVIDIA or ATI). Oh...and one more thing. Dell's support is not what they used to be. My brother's machine was shipped with a defective WiFi card, and they bounced him around from department to department and call to call just to "make sure" the thing was actually broken. After 6 weeks and many, many calls, (and long, long hours of waiting on hold) they finally agree to send a new one.

I have an Inspiron 8600 with a 1.4Gz Pentium-M, 128Mb GeForce Fx 5650, and 512Mb or RAM. I got mine for $1700 after rebate about 4 months ago. I get about 9000 on 3DMark 2001Se and about 2500 on 3DMark 2003.

I'm getting mine for college(studying computer programming and computer graphics), but can't find any good laptops around $1000 with anything bigger than a 32mb ATI card??

I probably won't be playing many games on it, but is 32mb good enough for programs like 3dsmax?:confused:

3ds max 6 System Requirements:

Primary Operating Systems: XP Professional (SP1), Windows 2000 (SP4), and XP Home (SP1)

DirectX 9 Recommended (DirectX 8.1 Minimum), OpenGL

512 MB RAM and 500 MB swap space minimum (1GB RAM and 2GB Swap Space Recommended)

Graphics card supporting 1024x768x16-bit color with 64mb ram. (OpenGL and Direct3D hardware acceleration supported; 3D graphics accelerator 1280 X 1024 32-bit color with 256mb ram preferred)

concentrate on OpenGL and Direct3D support & 256MB ram. these are recommended not required. any graphics card would work with 3DSM

Can anyone help me with other laptops except DELL. I would like it to be as a back up plan. I am not to sure between Centrino and Pentium. And i do not know which is better. But i have heard that Centrino is not good with OS like Linux.... is it true???

I tried Dell and i chose to customise the computer. Just changed the hard drive from 30 Gb to 60 Gb, Graphics card to 64 bit and increased RAM to 512 Mb. It ended up costing $1900 which is too much for me......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom