Building a new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartgande

In Runtime
Oh boy, here I go...I have never built a comp from the ground up, but I want too, and given my ability to learn, I believe that I can. I am just curious as to what parts and what kind of a computer I can build, including monitor, on $2500? I will be doing this all myself, so surely I save some money. I need help with graphics cards, motherboards, even what kind of monitor to use. The only thing I am fairly set in is the fact that I want a CRT monitor, and to use an X800 XT graphics card, but I would fluctuate if there are more advantages with an LCD or diff type of graphics card. All help will be greatly appreciated!

With $2500 you can really get a great gaming PC going...just clicking around on Newegg...I was able to put together something (w/out case, speakers, PCI sound card, and monitor) for just about $2200. Here's what it was:

AMD 64-FX 55
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
1GB (2x512MB) Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR Memory
Powercolor ATI Radeon X800 XT Video Card
74GB 10,000 RPM WD Raptor SATA HDD
200GB 7,200 RPM WD SATA HDD
16x Lite On DVD-ROM (Black and Beige were same $$$)
16x DL Plextor DVD-RW (only in Beige)

Dropping the CPU down a few (heck, even going with the AMD 64 4000+ saves about $100...the FX seems to do better with gaming though...you may even look into an FX-53, bout same price as 4000+) you could save some money that way. And for me...integrated sound is just fine...but you may want an Audigy 2 or something if you're looking at high end speakers....also, having worked for a small business (when you compare it to someone like Dell or HP) the general markup on a computer like this would be about 12-20%. Hope this helps you.

what currency is that?

the basic parts you need are:
motherboard
CPU
video card
RAM
power supply
those are to get the thing to work at all, but it needs an Operating System and display so you can actually use it

the parts that aren't but are required:
hard drive(s) - so you have somewhere to put an Operating System and all your files
CD drive(s) - to install your Operating System and use any other CD's you might need or want
case - you can run a computer without a case, but you really should have one
monitor
sound card
speakers

okay some people don't need sound, but most would

Thanks!

Well thanks, I really appreciate all your help. Yeah, $2500 isn't much to drop on a killer gaming RIG, but as long as it kicks Doom 3's ass and will be good for up to two years on the latest releases, I'm good. I will probably go with the set up you got for me, and thanks for helping me with the pc value too!

The setup listed by billybonka356 is indeed very sweet. The only change that I might add would be an eVGA 6800GT instead of the Powercolor X800 XT. The 6800GT is approximately 100 dollars cheaper, and also can be made into a 6800Ultra with no problems. The 6800Ultra and the X800 XT are very close in performance, so in my mind it makes sense to go with the cheaper option. By the way, you'll LOVE the setup that billybonka356 came up with. Man, if only I had 2500 bucks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom