bringing a disk back to life

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultraman

Beta member
Hi. Another post about another drive!

I have a disk that once worked and now id dead. The system bios doesn't even see it. Is there a way to bringing it back to life, any shock treatment?

Thanks.

freezer?

First time I hear about that. Do you mean putting the drive in the freezer?

Could this help with different drive problems?

Thanks

Put the hard drive in a plastic bag and MAKE SURE IT IS SEALED. Then, place the hard drive in the freezer, and leave it there for at least an hour, longer if you have time. Then, remove the hard drive from the freezer and put it back in the computer, try to do this as fast as you can without being clumsy. Then turn on the computer and it MIGHT work. If it does quickly back up all your important files, because the hard drive is not guaranteed to continue working, if at all.

Ahh, the good ol' freezer trick. That is exactly what I was going to say as well. It works for alot of HDD problems.

I have an old 1.2Gig hd and it will show in the bios, but not in windows, so I try to format, and it dies halfway through and same with partitioning... so I tried the freezer trick, but the bag wasn't sealed and I had a soppy wet hard drive... grrr... but after it dried off i tried it and it still works, ( same problem though ) so I think i will try the freezer trick again, but i will use tupperware or something... , by the way, I left it in over night... , (to long???)

Or, you could try the less famous microwave trick. You put the microwave on high, set the timer for 20:00 minutes and head for the hills. Come back after 20 minutes... Grab a pair of oven mits, and quickly reinstall the drive. It should work. Back up your data and put out any fires if necessary.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom