"Boot sector corrupt/missing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

csw3190

In Runtime
I started up windows normally (with an modded apple bootscreen) and everyhting was loading...slow tho. i went to taskmngr to close some programs (i.e. kazaa, shareazza) that were trying tostart, but taksmngr froze. great, now i can't even restart. i forced shutdown (hold pwr button) and when i rebooted i got to choose whether or not i want to boot w/bootscreen (these choices always come up), and i chose w/, but then i got this "Windows could not start because the following file is missing: /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM" wtf is this? can i run windows on this HD w/o reinstalling? is this a HD not windows problem? if it is either of these, can i recover valuble files (i.e. "my documents" folder)?

please help!!!:dead: :no: :grind: :mad: :shocked:

not sure about the first part but if it looks like all is lost you can use something like knoppix or the suse live cd to backup your files

csw3190 said:
I started up windows normally (with an modded apple bootscreen) and everyhting was loading...slow tho. i went to taskmngr to close some programs (i.e. kazaa, shareazza) that were trying tostart, but taksmngr froze. great, now i can't even restart. i forced shutdown (hold pwr button) and when i rebooted i got to choose whether or not i want to boot w/bootscreen (these choices always come up), and i chose w/, but then i got this "Windows could not start because the following file is missing: /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM" wtf is this? can i run windows on this HD w/o reinstalling? is this a HD not windows problem? if it is either of these, can i recover valuble files (i.e. "my documents" folder)?

please help!!!:dead: :no: :grind: :mad: :shocked:

(i.e. kazaa, shareazza)

you answer your own question

you got a virus

hollywood is killing computers left and right for downloading for free

Re: Re: "Boot sector corrupt/missing"

vance43211 said:
(i.e. kazaa, shareazza)

you answer your own question

you got a virus

hollywood is killing computers left and right for downloading for free
aight, but cna i just install XP on the second HD and set up this one as a slave, can i save the files w/o corrupting the system?

edit: oh yeah, it's klite, not kazaa MD, but i probly d/l-ed a bad file

The first thing I'd Do f u have a second hard drive. Is to unplug you infected HDD. Plug your other HDD in and do a fresh install of windows. When this is done, install and update your antivirus software on it. Then plug the infected HDD and scan it for viruses. When u know it is clean then copy all of your important data to the new HDD. and if u wanted your other HDD as the primary master then simply formatt it then ghost the fresh install back over to your old HDD.

csw3190 said:
WTF is knoppix and suse live (ik SuSE is a linux distribution)...?

These are live cd linux distributions. I've used Knoppix a couple of times when my computer has gotten messed up to recover those vitally important documents (masters thesis paper).

Live CD means they boot and run off of the CD, and don't use the hard drive. You can then access your hard drive, and copy your important files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom