BIOS and CMOS problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejay01

Solid State Member
Can anyone help?

My brother built his new computer today, everything was in the right place and hooked up.. we booted up, installed windows but now when he restarts he gets a screen saying

Detecting......

BIOS not installed

No device found!

Then it goes to another screen and displays

CMOS Settings Wrong
CMOS Date/Time wrong

Other than this, he can boot windows up fine, but there also seems to be a problem with the Fastrak Promise Controler in device manager

Hes running a

AMD64 bit Athlon
ASUS nvidia nForce 3 Pro150 MB
Radeon 9800XT
1gb of RAM

We've searched all the manuals but theres nothing there to help!

Cheers

The BIOS has to be installed, if it isn't your computer won't function and there's no way you'd be able to get into Windows.

Have you tried entering the BIOS? If you can't you should try clearing the CMOS, and you may need to flash a new BIOS depending on the situation.

Yeah sorry i should of mentioned that

We can get into the BIOS and change settings and stuff

Just the screen keeps popping up during start-up saying the message, then we reach the screen about the CMOS... it has two options

Press F1 to enter Setup
Press F2 to load last default setup

By pressing F2 windows loads up fine

Could you give me exact details on flashing a new bios and clearing the cmos? I think we've cleared the CMOS already by switching the pins its set on, if that was the right way to do it

Deejay - for god's sake if you do decide to flash your bios, MAKE SURE it's the right bios for your board. If it isn't right, you might as well toss your mobo out. Just a few days ago i flashed my bios with the wrong one, needed to use my computer ASAP so i had to cough up $150 for another mobo. :(

Ok, cheers for the advice

If someone who has experience with flashing bios for my mb could come and gimme a hand lol

Im on my computer at the moment with my brothers hooked up by the side of me, we run the same mobo

update//

After a quick look at the mobo, the CMOS pins are set to 2+3 which is for resetting i believe....

Could setting them to 1+2 correct both problems? or would it only get rid of the CMOS error message

Simple...Back up the current bios to floppy. Do not attemp to update the bios without the current bios backed up to floppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go to the internet and locate the bios flash update for your mobo my model #. These manufacturers will usually have an auto bios install program on their website. As stated above, Make sure you have the model number dialed in or..................it's smoke!!!!

Ok, i think i get how to do the updated BIOS

How do i go about backing up the BIOS thats on there now

Could setting them to 1+2 correct both problems? or would it only get rid of the CMOS error message
This is your problem I suspect, 2-3 is the reset position, I assume your BIOS is continually reseting itself. It is not very good for a computer at all to boot with the CMOS jumper set to 2-3.

Switch the jumpers to 1-2, clear the CMOS by removing the battery, and then try again.

Problem solved

We changed the CMOS battery around with a spare one I have, and then re-set the date and time

It then skipped all error screens and booted up nicely

Cheers for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom