Barton Core questin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomt697

In Runtime
Are the Barton Cores worth getting. i was looking at a AMD 2600+ XP Barton Core(1.9ghz) for about 104 bucks retail(newegg.com), and wanted to know about how long will last me. will i be able to play Doom3 and Half Life 2 with out problems from the cpu side? any good mobo to go with this cpu under a 100 bucks?

if you're going AMD, try the nForce2 motherboards, as they are probably the best deal for gamers.
You can get pretty much any Socket A mobo for under $150, but for the best audio and performance, get an nForce with the MCP-T integrated audio. It rivals the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 in sound quality and performance.
And yes, a 2600+ will do you quite nicely for most games.
If you have any problems with it's speed, though, you can always OC :D

You might also want to try the Barton core 2500 by AMD. You can get them for about $90. They run at 1.83, which is about the same speed as a 2200, but the former runs at 333 fsb, while the latter runs at 266 fsb. This helps bring up the performace. The 2500 is also very easy to o/c because of the relatively low clock speed.

The 2600 you like will run at a higher clock speed (ie more heat), but since the fsb is set at 266 in stead of 333, there is a marginal performance increase.

You may also like to take a look at the Barton 3000. It's come down a lot in price since the 64 bit processors came out. It's fsb also runs at 400, which really gives the chip a boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom