Backup entire hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejeremy

In Runtime
My current hard drive is an internal 120 GB hard drive. It has 2 partitions, one housing Windows XP Pro and the other housing Fedora Core 5. If I bought another hard drive, say 300 GB or so, how would I go about backing up my current hard drive so that I could boot off of the backed up one in the future? Basically I want to copy everything on the current hard drive - not just files, but the boot record, everything, so it's bootable. If the new hard drive is bigger, will this cause a problem? Will I have to make partitions first?

Thanks in advance.

You could use Norton Ghost and copy everything onto the other hard drive. I've seen it done before at Best Buy.

I don't know if you can keep your XP license though; you'd have to talk to MS about that.

I'll look into that.

I wouldn't expect to have a problem with the license. I mean I wouldn't ever be using both drives at once. I'd only be using the backup drive if my current one took a total crap on me. I just wanna have it backed up in case that does happen. I've had my current one for 2 years now, so I'm sure it has lots of life left. It's a Seagate and I think they're warranteed for ~5 years.

Ghost is the ticket, for sure.

As long as the backup is used in the original computer there is no problems about licensing.

So in terms of the Windows license, how does it check that? Does it somehow save data that is hardcoded into your hardware, like a serial number in the motherboard or something?

I'd probably use the same computer, unless hardware started going bad in that one or if I just built a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom