AXP 3000+ Barton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton) in one of my computers. It runs at 2167 on a 166 FSB. It has an unlocked multiplier all the way up till I believe 19.0x. I have the option to run it at 1300, 1733, 2167, and 2600 without user config. However, if I put it at 2600, it loses stability and doesn't boot. That is not the problem.

Since it has an unlocked multiplier, I'm considering running it at 2400 on a 200 base clock and a 12.0x multiplier (I'll drop for 13.0x). I have memory-DDR333-which will be overclocked automatically to DDR400 since I don't have an option to change mem clock and stuff like that.

My question is what will an Athlon XP at 2400 equal to an Intel processor (current generation)? Will I be able to run the proc. at 2.4 under 1.65v? Will it run on the stock heatsink without burning up?

It wont compete with current generation Intel CPU's, If you are talking relative to what Intel had when they came out with 2400+ then yes it will compete.

Yeah it depends on what Intels you'd pit it up against....I mean it can still compete with todays Intels, but not the EE's or top notch processors, not in anyway you need the AMD64's to compete with those, but still you can't give it some relatively good competition for being a generation below ya know?

Also, it's not a good idea to just jump your RAM from 333 to 400 as OC'ing RAM takes a lot of time, patience, trial and error to perfect it...I recently OC'd my PC2700 RAM up to PC3200 speeds and trust me it takes time to do it....

If you can't change your CPU:RAM Ratio then really it's not a good idea to up your FSB anymore....

You should be able to hit 2.4, but more than likely you might need one increment up from 1.65Vcore, and also like I said if you can't adjust Vdimm voltage, ram timings, or RAM Ratio, DO NOT raise the FSB from 166 up to 200 as you will never be able to get that thing to run stable.

a 2.4 Amd is probably about mmmm equal to around 2.8 perhaps 3GHz Intel chip as long as it's a normal Intel chip and not like EXTREME EDITION! or anything like that..

You can see in this image that I'm linking below that my 2.7GHz processor is comparable to generic 3.6 and 3.8GHz Intel processors.

OCSS3.jpg

So, yeah but I thought and AXP 3000+ will perform the same as an Pentium 4 3.0 GHz even Prescott. What am I wrong?

technically that's what the 3000+ in the name means is that it runs about equivelant to a 3GHz Intel, but I'm sure it's tad below that, but for the most part yes it's quite comparable, and especially if you OC it you'll be able to beat it

You have to keep in mind the core types as well, I think prescott is the less fast, more cache intel and it depends on what core your AMD has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom