Athlon 64 Stock cooling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foyman

In Runtime
Hi, I'm going to buy a 64 3200+ Venice and was just wondering if anybody else has one and is running it with the stock cooler, I just want to know if it is good or if I should get a dif HS, also if you do run it with the stock one could you tell me what temps you are running with it?

Thanks in advance.

any stock HS will run any CPU just fine...it's when you begin to OC it, is when you may consider getting a better HS.

if you're not, then the stock should suit you fine.

EdoKoi nailed it.

The thing is that you may not really get any OC at all on the stock cooling. To be honest, it really sucks. I would highly suggest Thermalright's XP-90. It is comparable to water cooling OC capabilities.

I disagree. My stock cooler sucked bad. But, see what you're getting with your stock heatsink/fan and, if you like the temps, keep it.

dude, stock coolers are designed to keep the CPU at a good temp. if it's not overclocked...:eek:

Please read the post again because I do think that we agree.

Calzinger said:
The thing is that you may not really get any OC at all on the stock cooling. To be honest, it really sucks. I would highly suggest Thermalright's XP-90. It is comparable to water cooling OC capabilities.

I state that you will not get any overclocking whatsoever on the stock heatsink, which I think we all agree is very true. I suggest a very high quality heatsink IF he is planning to overclock, the Thermalright XP-90 ($30 @ frozencpu). Check any review website and they will tell you that it is a very good heatsink. I'd get it even if I wasn't planning to OC just to reduce the temperatures.

I do notice though that at least on my 3200+ Winchester, I get incredibly high temperatures on the stock cooler. It isn't even overclocked. I was looking to get that XP-90, but instead looked into getting water cooling system.

Even if you aren't overclocking and you're getting high temperatures, it should obviously always be in a safe zone. It wouldn't make much sense for AMD to sell a standard heatsink that comes with your CPU that can't even do its job under standard conditions.

ive got a 3200 winchester, and i OCed it to 2.5ghz on stock before the temps started to really scare me. OCing can be done, but to save urself a heart attack, i recommend the Zalman 7700CU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom