athalon 2500+ or 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

noremacyug

Solid State Member
i hope i posted this in the correct place. i wasnt sure to post here or in the overclocking section. anyhow, moving on i currently have a athalon 2500+ in my current system which consist of abit nf7 mobo, (2x256)kingston hyper-x pc3500 ram, and a 9800xt. im fixing to build a server out of some parts i have laying around and need a cpu for it. what i thought about doing was taking the 2500+ out of this computer and placing it in the server system and then purchasing a 3000+ for this computer. i was just wondering how well the 3000+ overclocks (i just bought a thermalright sp-97) and whether its worth the money. should i just buy another 2500+ or will the 3000+ give considerble performance over the 2500+. i realize that i can overclock a 2500+ above the stock performance of the 3000+ which is why i was wondering how well the 3000+ will overclock.
i hope that all made sense.

thanks for the advice

The two use the same basic processor, but i do know the 3000+ had a "revision" that made it perform better than the original... but from my experience, they can be overclocked to approx. the same clock speed, due to the somewhat limited scaling of the barton core... most of the ones ive seen/overclocked all go to about 3200 or maybe a bit higher, depending on your cooling. if youre looking to save money, id go for another 2500 and just OC it (assuming youre have the skills to do so etc, which you seem to have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom