Ata Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Press_F1

In Runtime
What exactly an ATA HDD means?
actually this was a problem of a friend who ask me reagrding his 120 GB HDD that cannot be recognize by norton ghost but fortunate eough to be recognized by the BIOS. I heard that some MOBO allows you to configure something before working on a new HDD as big as 120GB. but since it is already there on a BIOS, what possibly cause this stange problem.
I cant get thorugh the dtails though since its my friend PC.

Thanx in advance.
DX

i think it means advanced technology attachment hard disk drive. your problem is not because you do not understand the acronym. what version of ghost? is this an IDE or serial hard disk?

ekÆsine said:
i think it means advanced technology attachment hard disk drive. your problem is not because you do not understand the acronym. what version of ghost? is this an IDE or serial hard disk?

Norton Ghost 2003 and the HDD is an IDE type. Im sorry but whats the diffrenece of a serial HDD and IDE? I thought there are only two types, that of IDe and SCSI. :confused:

Thanks.
DX

K. fair enough. thanx mate.
so a ATA is a technolgy term use for the transfer of files from system to HDD while the IDE is the type of cable use to transfer this data. am i right?
do they use special type of ide cables for these two types, the ATA and SATA?

that is incorrect. they are just different interface types, each one having a maximum transfer speed. names for the cables are: IDE cable, ATA100 cable, ATA33 cable, SATA cable, ect. IDE cable has either a 40 pin or 80 pins. yes ata and sata have different cables, sata is also jumperless.

when using Norton Utilities , be certain you use the version of the software for the OS you have installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom