Asus A7S333 Power up problem! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynnen

Solid State Member
I recently purchased an Asus A7S333 and an AMD 2100 XP (thorooubred core) cpu and a 256MB PNY 2100ddr ram stick.

After getting the fan, I started to upgrade my existing pc. Everything appears fine, except that the system will power on for just a few seconds and then shut off.

I think it has something to do with the power supply but I have even tried a new ps and it still does the same thing.

Help!!!!!

Sounds more like your CPU overheating. Did you put on the heatsink before you turned on the power? Did you plug in the heatsink's fan? Did you apply any thermal paste?

If it was a power issue, you probably wouldn't get anything at all when you try to turn it on. If it starts for just a few seconds and turns off then it's probably your CPU overheating. You can burn one out without proper heating in 2 seconds flat.

hmmmmmmmm...... I may have to try turning the heatsink around. This is an AMD recommended heatsink/fan. It has the thermal pad on it and doesn't require thermal paste.

I was looking at ASUS site and found this info about a different board:

Same issue, but the problem was that it required a power supply that met the ATX 12V 1.1 specs.

I am not sure that my ps meets those requirements.

I will look at the heatsink/fan when I get home.

When you look at the heatsink, make sure that you pulled the tab off the pad.

Also, keep in mind that the stock AMD heatsinks with those thermal pads only make contact with about 10% of the CPU. The means all the heat that your CPU products has to be dispersed through a very small part of your heatsink. Try getting a higher end heatsink and fan with some thermal paste. Artic Silver is a trusted brand.

It's like runing a Chevy big block and cooling it with a house fan. Sure it will run for a while, but sooner or later it's gonna blow.

As far as your powersupply, how many watts is it? A good way to see if it's your PS is to boot up with only our hard drive and vid card. Don't connect any sound cards, NIC's or CD/DVD roms/burners. If it boots then you are correct, could very well be your PS. But I don't know how many watts you can push out of it.

The fan that I got is a MicroFin and the thermal pad is actually quite large. Should cover the core of the cpu with no problem as long as I have it installed the correct direction. I have ordered a new ps as mine is only a 250w and I should at least have a 300.

The killer here is that this is what I do for a living. I have been doing this for about 12 years.

I had just never run into this particular problem before.

I still suggest ditching the pad and going for some paste. even a large pad will only cover the little bit of a bevel that the AMD cpu's have. At least paste will fill that gap a bit and better distribute heat.

You know what I'm saying. 6 years ago you could slap a heatsink on a K6-2 and not have to worry about it. But with the cores getting smaller/hotter you have to take extra percautions to keep them from burning out.

no i dont agree that cpu is overheating. gwynnen do you hear any beep codes before it shuts down? if not reconnect the speaker on the motherboard. your problem sounds more like a memory, power supply, or motherboard failure. try taking out the memory and reseating it. if it still doesnt work test the memory on another system. After that I would try a recommended power supply like you suspect the problem is. and very last i would guess motherboard failure

AMD recommends using a thermal pad instead of thermal paste if you plan to have the CPU installed on the system for a long time. thermal paste is for testing purpose and is temporary because over a long period of time it will not adhere to the CPU die and cooler.

you prolly should go with about a 400W PSU for a computer that is that fast (im sure you have a few drives in there right?) and if you go with a powerful graphics card or something that will suck some serious juice too

I do hear the beginnings of a beep code, but I do not think it is finishing. It may be the video card. I have an ATI Radeon 7000+ 64MB DDR coming today that I will try. I will also ensure that the heatsink/fan is on the correct way.

I don't have another board that I can try that memory in. My other boards only support 100/133Mhz sdram, not ddr.

Have you heard of any issues with PNY brand DDR ram?

FYI:

Other system specs

Nvidia Riva TNT2 32MB
Audigy Platinum 2
Plextor DVD Burner
Lite-on DVD player
Western Digital 27Gb drive
Fdd
3C905tx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back