ASRock Bios wont recognize maxtor ultra ata 133 160GB hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedplanta

Beta member
I have a ASRock K7S41GX mobo with and a new maxtor 160gb hdd ultra ata 133, but my bios is not recognizing the hd, i was told the mobo supports ata 133. Is there a difference between ata133 and ultra version? Can i get the bios and win to recognize the hd without buying a ultra ata 133 pci card? i have win98 on another hd, which i tried to use as the boot hd and the maxtor as slave but no bios or win recognition, and i cant partition the 160gb as its not recognized rather as master or slave. how can i get it recognized and partition it if i have to. i was goin to put win xp on the new hd, but dont want to dump my other drive w/ win 98 if i dont have to...

PLEASE HELP.

THANKS

Welcome to TF!

well first you need to check to see that you have the jumper on the back of the drive seated correctly, then you'll have to either use xp or a 98 boot up disk to get to dos (or in xp use the setup) to format the drive, then it should come up during the post.

Also, I know maxtor's come with cd-roms.. you may need to install something from the disc before moving on.

good luck =)

ok, so i boot up with win 98 boot disk, and type 'format c:" (assuming maxtor hd is set to master.)? Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom