Arguably the ultimate AMD system (for now...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Check out this baby boys and girls. A cool 144 teraflops (trillion floating point operations per second). How'd u think it'll run Doom 3 with 2 6800 ultras in SLI? :amazed: lol.............. Connected to EACH processor that is :D..

It could map the entire human genome in a couple hours... but doom3 at ultra high settings? Impossible.

I suppose the old Pentium 1 150mhz i have in the basement would have no problem beating this thig. no sweat lol

Pretty much looks like 24 dual opertons in a big box with 6 u320 drives each and a gigabit network card. You could setup something comparable under *nix at your house.

edit:

in fact, after reading a bit more im almost positive thats what it is. they just twist the terms on the specifications page to make it sound better than it really is..

The Cray XT3 processor and I/O boards use socketed components wherever possible. The SeaStar chip, the RAS processor module, the DIMMs, the voltage regulator modules (VRMs), and the Opteron processors are all field replaceable and upgradable. The Cray XT3 system backplane is designed to allow modules to be hot-swapped to replace faulty components without the need for a system shutdown, enhancing system availability. All components have redundant power, including redundant VRMs on all system blades.

So, they use normal memory, have a DPS module (as gigabyte calls it), Opteron processors, Yes thats right! you can take off the heatsink and swap your opteron processor, wow.. thats like... unheardof.... Hotswap has been around for a long ass time, redundant power (so they have a failover system such as most servers have, 150$ on pricewatch), Redundant voltage regulators, wow... i always wanted one of those! You can buy a powerfilter for 100-200$. I have one, they're awesome for audio recording. If you wanted a setup like that, you're looking at like 1500$ish per blade, as opposed to the cray price of like 500,000$ or whatever their mainframes start out at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom