Arctic Silver 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxkrnxstylezxx

In Runtime
My as5 came today...smaller than i thought it would be(3.5 grams)....so do I just follow the instructions here starting from step 9? (I have a Pentium 4).

Also, if there's already thermal stuff or something on it, how would i clean it off??

Anything else I should know about this??

thx

oh and it says on the instructions that I should turn off the computer time to time for it to break in? and it says the break in's 200 hours?? so how often do i have to turn it off...can I not leave it on the whole day and do i have to turn it off at night?? and i have to do this for like 9 days??

here are the pics of the CPU and Heatsink...

do i need to clean them both off?? should all that black stuff be gone??

DSC04421.jpg

DSC04419.jpg

and can i clean it off with this??
DSC04422.jpg

Yea, all that black stuff has to come off. to put on the hs 5, u put it onto the heatsink(extremely tiny tiny amount), spread it over the top of the cpu till its smooth and thin with a razor or something like it. don't put any on the heatsink though, you can't rub the stuff in.

ryan

wait so i put a small amount on the cpu and spread it? can i use like a credit card thingy? and on the instructions on their website, it says put like a bead on the CPU and then put on the heatsink directly and twist it 1 or 2 degrees...

and do i just use the rubbing alcohol on some paper towel and scrub the thermal pad out?? i'm kinda scared to do that on the cpu cuz i might scratch or abuse it...

thx !

for the cpu, take the stuff off with alcohol on a q-tip. don't put any on the heatsink directly and definetely do not twist at all
try and put it striaght on. and u can use a credit card but the stuff is hard to get off

i cleaned it off as much as i could

DSC04423.jpg

DSC04424.jpg

also, do i spread the arctic silver 5 all over the metal part of th CPU??

thx all

perfectly done.

i still can see the black presence of the old thermal paste, (get rid of it a well) as this shows that the micro spaces are still filled with old thermal paste, u wont be able to get the full benefit of as5.

do not spread artci silver all over cpu surface (just equal to the half cooked grain of rice) a it will spread itself (200 hours cycle)

if u'll spread more, it wont as well work

cant take anymore of it off

so instead of spreading it, i just put a small amount in the middle and just put the heatsink over it?? and twist it like 2 degrees...ill try that

ok i did it (bead in the middle, then twisted)....but this is weird....the first time i turned it on after applying arctic silver, at idle my cpu was 33 degrees (5 degree drop)...and then i restarted it like a minute after cuz i put the keyboard in the wrong slot, and now its idle at 36 (2 degree drop)....

so should I not leave this on overnight?? how long should i leave it on, then turn it off?? cuz i usually turn it on in the morning and leave it on till midnight....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom