Another Dual Core Opteron Sneak Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, you and I are totally on the same page, posted this yesterday. :D

I'm suprised they were able to keep the power consumption and voltage down so low considering it's two cores on one chip. I'm very interested in seeing how the temperatures shape up with these.

You know I forgot to put in my comment that "I'm sure gaara posted this" lol.......something told me that you had, but MEH, oh well lol......lately I've been seeing their articles but taking my sweet time to post about it.

put 2 of those in a dual cpu board and hold on for your life, nothing like having your own personal supercomputer on your desk

I wonder how well they would overclock, I think it could take on an FX-55 (damned ecc memory though)

desiboi said:
Meh? Not for gaming.

not everything is about gaming, even around here LOL

give it about 6 months to a year, and even gamers will be raving about dual core chips

1 dual cpu board with 2 dual cores on it and I could get rid of 4 of my systems and still have extra processing power left over

I believe AMD says a dual core chip that'll really benefit gamers will be making its appearance in early 2006. I'm not certain though. Dual cores are still really only aimed at multiple thread processes.

1 dual cpu board with 2 dual cores on it and I could get rid of 4 of my systems and still have extra processing power left over
Scary isn't it? :D

gaara said:
I believe AMD says a dual core chip that'll really benefit gamers will be making its appearance in early 2006. I'm not certain though. Dual cores are still really only aimed at multiple thread processes.

Scary isn't it? :D

Ya it is kinda scary, Im imagining my lights dimming and a huge magnetic field around my PC with lots and lots of fan noise.Being able to compile a kernel in seconds, ripping a DVD in under 20 minutes or whatever the rate the drive will spit out the data !! Being able to do all of this at once plus a bunch of other video related encoding at the same time would be pretty sweet.What takes me days now would only take about 12hrs.

So far, no its not aimed at gamers, but thats got some other reasons behind it too, mostly windows and the nature of the current gamer market.Im sure software writers could easily make games to take advantage of multithreading, but why would they if they're stuck using a non multithreaded and non mutli cpu and single user OS?Answer, they havent had the choice really, wintendo is the current gamer market for better or worse,and that means dealing with the limits of windows.

The software writers Ive talked to all have told me the same thing, writing games for other platforms like OS X for example is easier and goes faster, dunno if thats true or not, but the non windows games Ive played written for openGL have been very very good,fast,and quite stable with alot less bugs than directX stuff.Making the switch to a new OS would actually happen pretty quickly if it ever happens.There will be pressure on the game makers if microsoft cant get its act together pretty quickly here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom