AMD's new socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkupen

Fully Optimized
When is AMD's new socket cpu going to come out, and what does everyone here know about it? Ive heard that with the new socket (M2 I think, not too sure though) you will be forced to use DDR2 memory)

just post all you know in here

Well the processers for the up coming socket M2 will be based on 90nm process but is supposed to have 65nm processers sometime after its release. All I know on the subject.

last I heard AMD was going to skip DDR2 and possibly go to DDR3, but this was quite some time ago so I have no clue at this point

Untill the price of DDR2 FSB 667 comes down to a reasonable price at every one can afford, then AMD might think about using that technology.

Considering that the current DDR2 only give the AMD Athlon 64 a less that 2% performance increase, then they are not going to brother in embrasing the memory technology as it's a waste of money.

Nubius said:
last I heard AMD was going to skip DDR2 and possibly go to DDR3, but this was quite some time ago so I have no clue at this point
You might be very well right on the money with that statement.

waynejkruse10 said:
when this socket comes out, that is when i am upgrading.
More reason why I am glad that I am currently holding on to my current rig.

(Pats my AMD Athlon 2600 Xp on the head) :eek:
OUCH!! Got my figure stuck in the CPU fan!!!! :eek:

Exactly the same with me. I dont want to upgrade (even though i could get a decent system now) its just not enough of a step up from my AXP 2500+, 768mb ram.

I am not worried about the Ram as people can normally get rid of it easily and still get a good price of it.
There is always some one that is kicking an old box arround with the last generation of memory it. (with the exception of RAMBUS Memory)
Same goes with hard drives. Just remember to do that secure erase before passing the drive along to some one else.

MoBo, CPU and Video cards on the other hand are a bit of a pain.

It's a bit sad with AMD that they are doing :mad: YET :mad: ANOTHER :mad: SOCKET :mad: as it's still in recent memory that they released Socket 754 and 939.

I am not convinced that Socket 754 is going to still be around in after Chinese New Year 2006. The only reason why I sell more Socket 754 is that the Socket 939 motherboards are still around about another $50 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom