AMD Tries to change the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
Found this on slashdot.org

"The Tech Report has caught wind of AMD's plans for processors over the coming years. Intel may be counting on cramming 'tens to hundreds' of cores in future CPUs, but AMD thinks the core race is just a repeat of the megahertz race that took place a few years ago. Instead, AMD is counting on Accelerated Processing Units, chips that mix and match general-purpose CPU cores with dedicated application processors for graphics and other tasks. In the meantime, AMD is cooking up some new desktop and mobile processors that it hopes will give Intel a run for its money."

Link to the article

Let the Intel/AMD flame war wage on!

cant say they arnt thinking outside the box though... if you cant beat them, dont play their game! hehe

AMD is right, though. # of cores are the new MHz.

Thinking outside the box can be a good thing, though.

If you want a faster car, you can get a bigger engine with more cylinders... or you can get a good engine with a turbo. Both do the same thing with the same results.

Trotter said:
AMD is right, though. # of cores are the new MHz.

Thinking outside the box can be a good thing, though.

If you want a faster car, you can get a bigger engine with more cylinders... or you can get a good engine with a turbo. Both do the same thing with the same results.

I want more cores so I can do more at once. I want better design so I can do it faster.

The General said:
I want more cores so I can do more at once. I want better design so I can do it faster.
we've already got multiple cores.

The vast majority of people most likely won't be using more than about 3-4 programs at a time.

you might be playing a game, running folding@home, have a P2P program in the background, and maybe have music playing. Dual and quad cores will multitask that fine.

The future will def. be interesting.....

I have to agree with their standpoint on multiple cores becoming like the MHz race... Especially when there is alot of software that isn't even coded for optimal performance with DUAL core CPU's, let alone many cores.....

The future is going to be interesting with the rapid advances in technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom