AMD processors better for gaming & Intel processors better for video editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
I've read several times in the forums that it's better to use AMD processors for gaming and Intel ones for photo/video editing. Can somebody pls explain why. Thanks!

amd has on-die memory, while intel has hyperthreading

amd gets few more fps, intel is faster by few seconds at tasking

when it all comes down, you ask yourself; am i seriously going to be encoding hours and hours of stuff?

no? ok, then get the AMD winchesters, they run cooler and are a lot cheaper

diabloII said:
amd has on-die memory, while intel has hyperthreading

amd gets few more fps, intel is faster by few seconds at tasking

when it all comes down, you ask yourself; am i seriously going to be encoding hours and hours of stuff?

no? ok, then get the AMD winchesters, they run cooler and are a lot cheaper

How does the amd's on-die memory helps in gaming and intel's hyperthreading in photo/video editing that the other cannot do as well?

what it comes down to is cache size and threading, Intel does threading better, and sometimes has a bigger cache, when encoding video the more of the tiny little coding app that can fit into the cache the faster it runs, encoding video is a repetitive process where sheer brute force wins the speed contest, AMD has an edge with FP math which is also a big part of video encoding, but often the Intel has more than enough cache to make up for it

for example, one of the coding apps I use is 147kb, no its not big, but if the processor only has a 128kb cache then parts of the app have to constantly be loaded and unloaded from the cache which costs clock cycles and time

Sevenor said:
How does the amd's on-die memory helps in gaming and intel's hyperthreading in photo/video editing that the other cannot do as well?

gaming is all about memory bandwidth and feeding the vid card with data while doing lots of math to deal with game physics, these are things AMD processors are usually good at, games are also single threaded

video encoding is all about moving chunks of data thru the processor as fast as possible, but, the apps are usually small, so, with cache memory being speedier than system memory, cache size and raw clock speed if done right wins, and video encoding is easy to multithread or run a few in parallel so to speak

horndude said:
gaming is all about memory bandwidth and feeding the vid card with data while doing lots of math to deal with game physics, these are things AMD processors are usually good at, games are also single threaded

video encoding is all about moving chunks of data thru the processor as fast as possible, but, the apps are usually small, so, with cache memory being speedier than system memory, cache size and raw clock speed if done right wins, and video encoding is easy to multithread or run a few in parallel so to speak

Thanks for the excellent answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom