AMD or PENTIUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Beta member
Hi!!!! I have an important question to ask!!!! what is better AMD or PENTIUM????? I need to know!!!! me and most of my friends have Pentiums!!!! but my other friends keep on saying that AMD is way faster!!!! the reason why i am asking is because i am planning on buying a new pc, or customizing a new pc, I like to play games, I don't consider myself to be a GAMER!!!! But i want a very FAST computer!!!!! anyways... amd or Pentium?? and Nvidia or ATI??

Thanx in advance!!!!:)

Wow! I've never seen so many exclamation marks in one post!! ;)

Generally, you can say that AMD's cost a bit less, but the latest PIV's with the new 800MHz chipsets are a bit faster..

I disagree, while the Pentium's clockspeed's may be faster, the "look" of the AMD is faster; Because they are better designed for windows. It all depends on your preferences, really, but take a look at (comparable) Pentium next to a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton running on windows XP. The AMD wins every time because the chip is actually designed for XP, so booting up takes mere seconds. I can have my music apps running loudly before the Pentium even gets to the "Startup sound"

I don't want to start a AMD v.s. Intel brawl here or anything (I use an AMD myself), but the time it takes to boot your computer is mainly caused by the speed of your hard-drive.

As for the actual speed of the CPU, they might be just as fast (probably are, otherwise Intel would have a strong case against AMD for using 3200+ as a product name). The latest chipsets for intel CPU's are, from what I have read, a bit faster than the latest for AMD.

I might be wrong, but this is a common conception. Guess it depends a lot on what you want to do with your computer.

As to NVIDIA and ATI, both have excellent cards. NVIDIA used to rule as far as drivers were concerned but ATI is taking the lead in that department as well as in rendering quality (fog drawing for one).
ATI's new catalyst's drivers are now more stable than NVIDIA and are also compatible with older games that are no longer supported by NVIDIA (try playing NFS Porshe unleashed with NVIDIA's drivers and you'll see. I had to load an old version of open GL for it to work)
I have opted for ATI and never regretted it (9600 PRO)

I have AMD XP2800 and Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb and i have been very impressed with the performance. Though i am having an overheating problem, considering AMD's run hotter this may be something to consider.

Karl

Go to Tomshardware.com to see some benchmarks on the various CPUs and video cards and you'll find that Athlon and Pentium are almost the same. I'd wait till more AMDs with hyperthreading come out. Then they'll get a lot more faster than the Pentiums.

As far as video cards go, I'd go with Radeon. If you've seen the Half Life 2 benchmarks you'd know why. Radeon gets almost double the score of the NVIDIA. That and Radeon is quite a bit cheaper.

I prefer P4's personally, from what ive seen they have been known to perform a bit faster all round, Pentium is going to release a gaming version of the P4 soon; starts at 3.2GHZ
ive noticed the prices of P4's have been going down a lot (the prices went down to about half their original in about 1 month)

all I can say though is it's up to you what you get and nobody should tell you what's best. for example, I use a Windows XP machine but I prefer Macs, especially the OSX with no virus troubles

i read somewhere(pc magazine maybe, i can't remember) that p4 was better for multimedia apps, and amd was better at apps like word, and excel, and as stated in the posts above and designed for windows xp and are about half the price of intel chips. i went with amd because it was cheaper(though it runs hotter) and it works pretty well with games.

I prefer AMD more. I get just as good a performance out of an AMD as I do a PENT. The price is also a good point when it comes to the 2. AMD is alot cheaper so you get more bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom