AMD Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Rock

Solid State Member
Ok, I'm a pentium guy. That's all I've ever used before.
Now I was told that AMD are better for gaming. So, I looked into some AMD mobos and processors. Can anyone tell me if this is a good combination? Thanks

ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset

AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor

Yeah, good setup. It is the one I plan on building soon ;)

If you want to save a few bucks you can go for the 3200+

Yup, an Athlon 64 3200 would be fine, and I don't think you'd notice a difference at all. You can consider the Asus K8N-E deluxe too, this one got an Nvidia chipset. Many people prefer these. Just read some documentation/reviews to choose the one that suits your need. :cool:

And, since it's very important in gaming, what kinda video card do you plan to get? ;)

I agree get the NVidia based board, all the review i have read say they are faster, more reliable, and easier to set up.

get the 3200+ and OC it to 2.2Ghz

also get a kickass vid card (in order or best to worst) X800XT, 6800 ultra, 9800xt, 5950 ultra, 9600xt.... wouldn't go lower than that on a "gaming" machine

Yeah that is a good setup, You might want to even look at the 3800+ I think it is, it uses the new 939 pin setup and that one will probably been in use for a long time, so if you decide to upgrade it will be simple

But those aren't reliable enough yet, go for an nForce2 mobo (preferably my MSI) that way you have dual channel RAM, rock-solid stability, and a bunch of other goodies.

I'm getting the x800 Pro board at least for now. Oh, and I'm not much for OC'ing. I really don't want to lower the life of a computer just to get a lil bit more performance.

Ok, then, I'll go with the 3200+ to save a few $$. One question tho, should I go with the 2.0 ghz and 1MB L2 Cache with the Clawhammer, or the 2.2 GHz and 512k L2 Cache with the Newcaslte? They are both the same price.

What mobo would you recomend for it? I'm havin a bit of a trouble finding an nForce2 one. I did find this nForce3 one though...

MSI nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8N Neo Platinum" (MS-7030)

Is that one good? One thing I'm lookin for is ease of installation.

I beleive the NewCastle is the faster of the 2 processors

I have the Clawhammer but i have it set to 2.2 (same as newcastle)

The newcastle is also newer.

If they are the same price i would get the newcastle.

BUT i would wait and get a socket 939 mobo with a 3800+ i beleive

its only 2.4ghz (which is still more than the 3200&3400, and the same as the FX-51&FX-53)

It is the fastest processor AMD makes. It runs dual channel unlike the 3200&3400 and it uses Unbuffered ram which is MUCH cheaper than registered and MUCH faster.

but if you can't wait...3200+newcastle is the way to go

I had the same question. I think I pretty much decided to wait for a ClawHammer socket 939 chip. Much easier to upgrade down the road considering the socket 745 are "dead". I read bad reviews on nForce3, saying it wasnt developed well enough, and I also see a lot of theguys in these forums with a VAI chipset AMD64 board. From what I understand, you gain 200 mhz from ClawHammer to NewCastle, not quite sure if higher 1mb L2 cache is better than the 512k L2 cache. I would assume the higher is better, the answers I got on it yesterday werent too clear so I'll study up some more.

I would get the 3800+, but it costs a little too much for me. The 3800+ costs $714 compared to the 3200+ at $282. So, I might be able to squeeze out a few more $$ but I'm not sure ~$500 worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom