amd box specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seloce

In Runtime
I'm building my first AMD box to see how it goes. Let me know what you all think of the specs.

case- pc power and cooling personal mid tower
psu- pc power and cooling turbocool 425w
mobo- asus a7n8x (maybe the deluxe)
cpu- athalon XP 2200
ram- corsair twinset 256mb ddr for dual channel use
hd1- switching to a western digital, uncertain so far
video- gainward geforce3 128mb golden sample
sound- audigy x-gamer
dvd player- pioneer 16x
cd burner- plextor 48/24/48

total cost= $885 USD

thoughts? suggestions? thanks ^_^

Looks like a really good config - you may want to get a GeForce4 Ti 4200 if you can rake in the extra dough.

ever used a gainward? I figured that if I'm using a new processor I might as well try other new things. ^_^

i would get a geforce 4 ti 4200. Also don't use ibm drives. I bunch of my friends have had them die on them and so have a lot of other people at other forums. They don't last very long. Just though that you might want to know

Seloce said:
ever used a gainward? I figured that if I'm using a new processor I might as well try other new things. ^_^

I own two Gainward cards - GeForce2 Ti and GeForce3 - very tweakable, and may outperform the next chipset over the generation, but if you feel the Gainward GF4 Ti 4200 (4X AGP) is still a bit too on the pricey side, then stick with what you have.

that's not a bad idea. it gives me more headroom for when I mod out the case anyway. I have some evil ideas to trick this one out. *dry washes hands deviously*

and can you back up your claim about the GXPs? I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I'm just wary of people who make suggestions based on the experience of a friend. can you link me to an article or a board where you saw them discuss the problem? the GXPs actually came highly recommended to me...

WHOA. Yeah. No gxp for me. I've never used an ibm drive but as said, a friend of mine loved his. HAH. I'm going to wring his neck next I see him. Then he's going to ask if he can back up his data on my systems. hahaha...too rich! thanks for the help guys.

I actually only have western digital drives currently. I was just going to branch out on this machine and try some new things...but I guess not!

Why bother if WD works perfectly? That's what I always figured. I've been using WD since my first 1gb.. since then I've had several different hard drives up to 120gb with no problems at all

I would get a Radeon 9500, outperforms the ti 4200 by far, that is if you could get the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom