AGP video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedideal

Baseband Member
Okay, here's my situation. I have an XFX KT400-ANB motherboard that has been using an ATI RADEON 9200 AGP video card. However, I just recently bought an ATI RADEON 9550 AGP video card so I could do a little dual monitoring. I have done everything that the instruction manual said to do before installing (i.e. taking off present display drivers and updating the AGP drivers). The problem I'm having is that when I put the new card in, and I start the computer, it starts to run, but never really boots up. I've tried changing a few things in the BIOS (mainly upped the AGP aperture to 256 Mb), and I would love to upgrade the BIOS, but I can't find the utility anywhere for my mobo that would do that. Whatever help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Re:

Hello,

Okay. Firstly, at what point does your system freeze? Also, does your computer respond in any way, or look active? (So is there a blinking cursor, any beep errors etc...)?

Verfiy that it is your new graphics card which is causing the problem, by plugging in your Radeon 9200 card. Ensure that you get a display.

If you've done all that, then there are only a few possibilities:

The first is that your graphics card is not seated correctly. Make sure that it is slotted firmly in place and all contacts aren't obstructed.

The second is incorrect settings in your BIOS. Make sure that if you have onboard graphics, it is deactivated, and that your 9550 be primary. Try setting your aperature to 32MB and boot. Also, if you can, make sure that your 9550 card voltage is set to either 1.5v or 0.8v . If you have any other settings in BIOS related to AGP, please post them here.

The last is that your graphics card is either incompatible or faulty. I've checked the AGP specifications however, and it looks fine:

Card: RADEON 9200
Voltages: 3.3V, 1.5V, 0.8V
Speeds: 2X, 4X, 8X

Card: RADEON 9550
Voltages: 1.5V, 0.8V
Speeds: 2X, 4X, 8X

Also, because you're getting a display during POST, it leads me to believe your card is healthy, but rather your OS causing the problem. You might want to check that you haven't accidentally nudged a cable out of place.

Also, try booting up with the 9550 card in again, and see if you can press F8 just after POST. If you get a list of menu options, try 'Boot in VGA Mode' or something along those lines.

If still no success, report back :D !!...

Well switching cards is hard on an operating system

Sometimes it goes thru with barely any headache's, but alot of the time even with the same brand and series, you get major problems.

Your solution should be to repair it from safe mode or reinstall XP

i had the same motherboard you have confusedideal, and it definatly has its AGP problems. reduce your AGP aperture size to the minimum and go up from there and see if you can find an aperture that lets your card run. My 9500Pro only worked at an aperture of 64. if that doesn't work, go into your bios and see what your initial display detection setting is at. make sure that its at AGP not PCI. and if you want to get the newest motherboad drivers, just google "via 4 in 1". when you get those make sure that you uninstall ALL of your mobo drivers. i had a problem with updating them when i had that mobo. its a really crappy motherboard and chipset. i hated it with all my heart and soul when i had it with my XP2200+.

Well, the problem is, I don't even get to the POST part. I mean, when I turn on the power, there's only a blank display and none of the beeps. I can't even get to the BIOS screen, or any other screen, for that matter, with the 9550 card in place. Also, where are the mobo drivers located? I've looked around my PC with the 9200 card in and I can't locate the specific drivers I need to uninstall first.

was there anything important on the hard drives if so which one then if you have two try redoing windows on the one without the important stuff or use an old harddrive it may be your OS.

Did you plug your new video card into your power supply? eg. my 9500 Pro needs a floppy power cord to boot. otherwise i get no display whatsoever.

the 9550 card I have doesn't have any kind of place to plug anything from the power supply into the card.
I'm not really into the idea of completely redoing WinXP since I don't think it's an OS problem.

UPDATE:
I just installed the 9550 card in another computer, and that worked just fine (outside of the fact that the monitor attached to it is crap. Anyway, that leads me to believe that it's definitely motherboard related and/or BIOS related. I've e-mailed the mobo manufacturer to find the BIOS update utility, so we'll see where that goes. Any other helpful ideas would be appreciated, though. I do appreciate the help I've gotten so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom