AGP Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

fefo_the_one

Beta member
I 'll buy a MSI Geforce FX-5200 t-128 Video Card and I don't know if it's going to work with my Motherboard is an Intel D850GB whit AGP 1.5v only.

What can you tell me?
HELP PLEASE!
:mad:

sell it and get a mac G5.. lol

what speed is the AGP on the motherboard compatible with?
if it's speeds matches the card then it will

AGP speeds are 8x, 4x, 2x, and 1x
most are either 4x or 8x

signalling voltage

My Motherboard AGP speed is 4x but i know that Grafic Card 8x can be set on AGP port 8x 4x or 2x, it's depend on the signalling voltage.

So it will work or not?
I don't have it yet so I can't make any test!

AGP 4x is 1.5 volts. AGP 8x is .8 volt. I think you are fine as it looks like your mobo has AGP 4x.

you should be fine with the 8x on a 4x slot, but not with a 4x on an 8x only slot, as 8x runs at lower voltage

(replace 8x with .8v and 4x with 1.5v)

All should be fine. The only cards which will not work are older AGP 2x/1x only cards, and a few "psuedo-4x" cards.

Did the MSI GeForce FX5200 AGP 128 vid card work on the AGP 4x compatible motherboard? I was going to buy the same card but I was told by the guy at the store that it would not work. Supposedly MSI did not build in the backwards compatibility found in almost all 8x vid cards...but I haven't been able to find confirmation of that. Right now I'm using a crappy XFX GeForce FX5200 PCI card, which is not worth 2 cents, it was just the only one available at the store...but I can still bring it back...and will bring it back as soon as I get my hands on a AGP video card that works on my system.

I realize this is an old Topic but I still can't find a descent answer, not one that I would risk paying $150can for

I though I had heard that there were supposed to be two types of 4x AGP that ran at different voltages. Did I hear wrong on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom