Advice for installing a new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

In Runtime
hiya

im gonna get a new mobo, on account SIS mobos suck.
Now, i know it tells you in the manuel how to install it, but is there any advice experienced people can give to people that are about to perform this operation.

thx

Put as many spacers in as possible.

Use the brass ones not the crappy plastic things.

Put all the screws in all the daughter cards and boards.

Read the instructions for your heatsinks before installing the motherboard as sum require attachment to the back of it.

Its nowhere near as electrostatically sensitive as you think. But still discharge yourself.

Take care when installing the CPU.

Oh and if it takes alot of effort, stop and rethink what your doing.

Thats about it. But there may be more if/when i remember them.

Pretty much what I would have said.

Make sure you have good lighting, and a good worktop with plenty of room. Make sure the work top is hard and flat.

What they have said is pretty accurate, however you may find that you don't need those things that raise the board above the case, standoffs or spacers or whatever. In my case I didn't.

Good lord you could spend an afternoon on this subject alone.

Just go slow, stay clean and static-free, do things right and don't leave anything half-arsed. Plan things out before you start so there's no surprises.

m3trj said:
What they have said is pretty accurate, however you may find that you don't need those things that raise the board above the case, standoffs or spacers or whatever. In my case I didn't.

The standoffs prevent the mobo shorting out on the case, so you must have had something.

Test fit your mobo FIRST, make sure the I/O connecters line up with the plate. In most cases they will fit, but I have the cheapest piece of junk case in existance, and they didnt fit.

EDIT: Be sure and take into consideration standoff height. (About 1/4" i'd say.)

Rayne said:
The standoffs prevent the mobo shorting out on the case, so you must have had something.

I tried putting the standoffs in but the mobo was too high, so I took 'em out and it was alright. The case is slightly raised where the screwholes are anyway, so it kind of acts like standoffs.

Youre treading on dangerous territory :p My last rig was sans-standoffs as well. It ran fine for as long as I had it. I shorted the mobo on the case numerous times while installing it, but it survived. I just backed out the screws until it worked. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom