Adding AS5 to CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

theor

In Runtime
Installing a new heatsink and have a question.

first, should I just leave the cpu in the 939 socket .. clean off the old paste there and reapply.. or should I remove it first then clean off.. for some reason I don't want to risk bending pins by taking it out.. but maybe it's a bad idea to do it while it's in te socket.

Also, the arctic silver website says to put a small amount the size of 3/4 of a BB and directly place the heat sink on the cpu die. Would it be better to spread this amount with a credit card evenly on the entire die instead.. or is relying on the heat sink pressure enough?

Ok just clean off the old stuff with a paper towel

Than their's 2 ways you can put on the AS5

1: Put a pea sized amount (or a little less) in the middle of the cpu, press the heatsink down on it.

2: Apply a layer of AS5 all over the CPU. Spread it out with a plastic bag over your finger. Take a credit card wipe offf any ascess. Place heatsink back on and rotate a few degrees

well what if I put the pea sized amount then spread that with the plastic bag... also.. do I do it just like this when installing AS5 to the graphics card heatsinks and mem chips also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom