9800gtx making high pitched noise (not fan!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Roberto

In Runtime
As the title says my 9800gtx is making a high frequency noise when i use a grphics intensive program (games, folding etc), i know its not the fan because i have checked it. Could it be about to fail? what could make it do this? (it still appears to work fine at the moment)

lol well the fan is the only moving part on the video card, so it has to be the fan. My guess is that when you are playing games, the fan increases RPM to keep it cool. Thus in turn creating noise.

Just because the fan is the only moving part it doesnt mean that is what is making the sound! high voltage circuits make sound and they have no moving parts (ignoring the fact that the electrons are moving...) and i know it isnt the fan because when i ramp it up manually it doesnt make the sound and when i turn it off manually while still running the gpu at 100% usage the sound doesnt go away

The noise is normal, that just the sound of voltage inside the capacitors. All three of my 8800GT's do it while folding. The higher your clocks are, the more you will notice it.

Theres threads all over the F@H forums about people complaining and worried about their cards cause they make the sound, but its normal.

hmm my 8800GT made a SUPER high pitched squealing noise when the power wasnt plugged into the video card. Also, my crucial ballistix (ram) makes a high pitched noise when things load... its rly weird lol

Yea mine hasnt allways done it, i was just playing crysis last night and i just noticed it randomly start, then when i quit the game it would stop (does the same thing with folding)

mine now sounds a little like a humming sound when i stop the fan. but this is very soft and i had to stop all the fans in my case to hear it. but that may have been my hdd. what clock speed are you running it at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom