8x AGP cards not work on 8x compatible mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KT4VL

Thats my mobo. As you can see, it supports agp 8x. I had problems w/ a 9600se that came from a clanmate. The card worked when he shipped it, when it came to me it didn't. My moniter kept saying "No input". I was pissed, and eventaully today got a agp 4x card to test out the agp slot. (mx400). It works fine and dandy.

Now, I plan on RMA'ing the 9600se. But one of my other clanmates said that the card may not be broken, and maybe my mobo cant support new gfx cards. (something about voltage being too high)

I trust him, for he owns a computer shop, but then, why would my mobo be 8x compatible if they don't work?

Do you think the card is messed up or my mobo? Thanks!

Your power supply could be insuficient. What's the wattage on your power supply. What are the amps on the +12v rail?

I know what the problem might be. My friend bought a 9600XT saphire and needed a newer Mobo that he would allow him to bump the voltage up to 1.6 because it didnt come w/ an external connector. Its a matter of the card i believe and a fault from ATI for not putting the external connector on it.

Its supposed to be at 1.6 i believe if the card dosnet have a power conector. And yes you do need one, but on those cards they didnt put one on tehre and that was the flaw. Just bump up the voltage and you should be fine, at least thats what i told my friend to do w/ his 9600XT and it was fine. As you can see alot of the 9600 series has teh conector on the card like its supposed to have, but if you buy a cheap one you will get ripped of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom