64-Bit PCI slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lintball

Baseband Member
i'm posting because i'm getting a pci video card...the radeon 9250. i see that you must have 64-bit pci slots to use this card. i have don't know what mine are and i don't know how to find out. I've looked in the device manager couldn't find anything there.and i don't have the mobo handbook. here are my system specs

PIII-1ghz
128mb pc 100

i don't know what kind of motherboard i have but it's a stock intel board..it doesn't have agp if that helps.

Hopefully someone can give me a good answer
thank you

arent they only for mobos with 64bit cpu support? if you have a 64bit processor, then go ahead, it sould be 64bit.

what mobo do you have, try looking in the manual or on the internet. there should be some detailed specifications somewhere.

64 bit is the memory interface

You do not need 64 bit PCI-X slots, as these only exist on server PC's

i think he is talking about normal pci, not pci-e (if that is what you mean by pci-x)

PCI is 32 bit, PCI-X is a 64 bit variant of PCI used in servers

PCI-E is a completly different story.

well i went back to newegg to look at the specs for the card and like it doesn't say anything about having to have pci-x it says pci interface...but it was in someones product review where they said "make sure you have a 64-bit pci slot not a 32-bit b4 you buy this card". But no one else addresed this issue in their reviews....so maybe he just doesn't know what he's talking about

Thanx for your help Chris and Joshd

Heyyo,

I highly doup that vidcard would be pci-x only. pretty much all server mobos have an agp slot if I remember correctly.

I'm sure that guy was just confused aboot some of the technical jargon they used in the specs for the vidcard, so I say just ignore that n' give it a go. You can always return it if it don't work. I think newegg is 30 days moneyback or something like that. Might wanna check the policy on returns just to be safe. ;)

Their isnt a video card even made for PCI-X

The card will work in his PC period, no need to worry about 64 bit, PCI-X, slot sizes, voltages ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom