2nd hard drive possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tOny mOnt4n4

In Runtime
i just got a 3gb hd from a friends old computer that he was gonna throw out and i figured i could use it for music files etc but im not sure how to hook it up to my current system. the hd is a Western Digital Caviar 23200 and my friend said it has windows 95 on it and i wanna delete everything thats on it. any ideas on how to get this baby workin??? i tried hooking it up to the ide thats runs off my hd but i dont know which power cable to use =/

your going to definitely need to hook it up to the IDE cable. If you don't have an extra slot, go and buy one that has one for a second drive.

i had it hooked up to the ide cable and i can probably find the power cable, my main concern is getting my computer to recognize it...

you have to connect your 3Gb HDD as a slave[primary or secodary] . Change the jumper settings of the hard disk and connect again. Now windows should recognize the drive.

Sign
Codes

since it's already been used, it will already be formatted, and Windows will list it in 'My Computer' as long as the IDE and molex (power) cables are in, and the jumpers are set right. you should set it to slave unless you will be running Windows off it, the jumper diagram should be written on the hard drive

You can also set it master, but if there's already another device on the cable you will probably have to set it to slave. Try slave first, then cable select (CS or CSEL) then try master.

...and once its installed right click on the drive and select "format" or something similar - that will erace all the files from the drive. the format (fat32 or ntfs) you will be formatting the drive to, will depend on what OS you use, or what your primary HD is formatted in (its better to use same formats)... for 2k it will probably be ntfs, XP - fat32, but thats not for certain....you can check by right clicking on your primary drive and selecting properties.

bit of a problem, i cant get the drive recognized in windows, it shows up as a slave on bootup screen and bios any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom