2 Computers....1 Monitor???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMan813

In Runtime
I am about to purchase a new computer and it doesnt come with a monitor. I am wondering if there is anyway I can save some money from buying another monitor and just hook them both up to the same monitor cause I wont ever need to use them at the same time anyhow. Is this possible? If so, what all do I need to do it and how?

Thanks, I hadnt seen that post, but that looks like what I need. I would have two keyboards and two mouses though, so would that still work and I would have one keyboard and mouse for one computer and the other keyboard and mouse for the other? And is there anything that I have to do to install the switch or install on the computer or is it pretty much self explanitory?

why not use 1 set of keyboard and mouse to reduce clutter? i think you will have to experiment, it sounds like it will work as long as one set of keyboard is connected to the switch.

this is IF the switch needs a keyboard key to activate the switching function. else there will be a button on the switch to activate the switching. try not connecting the second computer keyboard and mouse to the switch except for video. the setup is pretty easy, read your manual for what button/key to activate switch.

spfd said:
buy a switch box, only costs 25 dollars =p

$25 for a switch box. Is that just for your VGA, or it that a true KVM Switch Box that will give you Keyboard and mouse.

kvm on newegg is cheap same thing on tigerdirect

linksys makes a good one I currently have been using it and it works great

you can get them for just aobut any # of PCs, but they dont switch your network connection (only keyboard, video, and mouse) so youll need a switch or router for your network connection, and as far as sound goes, you could prolly get some kind of splitter

Well, the new computer wont be hooked up to the internet, at least not for a while, so I dont have to worry about that. There will be new better speakers coming with the new computer though, so are you saying I will have to split that somehow or can I use one set of speakers for both too using the one KVM switch box? And I will only use one keyboard and mouse. I dont know what I was thinking...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom