2-5 Mile wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

B34ST1Y

In Runtime
Hey....in THEORY...couldn't you jury rig your LAN card...and do some saudering...plug it into the tranmitter of a 2-5 milie walkie talkie....and get the range that way? It's an interesting and exciting theory...I mean, 5 miles! wow! and if not, can someone provide me with a link to SUPER long range wireless products?

chew on that for a while ;)

*bump* lol i've waited almost a year and no ones replied yet...i think this DESERVES to be answered by now! XD

No it's not that simple. You could, but it would be uber slow to compensate for the poor quality of the signal, a few bits per second and it would require custom making some stuff.

* You would equip each computer with a walkie-talkie.
* You would give each computer a way to set whether it wants to transmit or receive.
* You would give the computer a way to turn its binary 1s and 0s into two different beeps that the walkie-talkie could transmit and receive and convert back and forth between beeps and 1s/0s.

This would actually work. The only problem would be that the data rate would be very slow. A $5 walkie-talkie is designed to handle the human voice (and it's a pretty scratchy rendition at that), so you would not be able to send very much data this way. Maybe 1,000 bits per second.

Not mine....

look at how things work, they have a section on that. Wifi is pretty much the same thing as what you're talking about, just at much higher frequencies.

you'd have to take into account the interference you'd get. not to mention the security you would need. 5 miles, that's further than you could distinguish a person. easy for war drivers to not be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom