144hz monitor and 970 GPU. Do I need to adjust settings?

frldyz

In Runtime
I just got my Acer 144hz gaming monitor.
I have it connected to my MSI 970 GPU.

I just connected everything up lastnight and looks pretty good.
It came with 2 cables? DVI and D sub? Which connection should I use to get the best performance? It also has an HDMI and display.
Also. Does anything need to be set or adjusted right out of the box? I know I can adjust the color etc.. But does 144hz need to be set? Or is it 144hz right out of the box?

With my MSI 970 is there a option to adjust settings to maximize its performance? Or is it pretty much right out of the box all set and ready to go?
I just want to make sure I maximize my monitor and GPU to get the best performance and picture out of it.

Thank you

Win 7 64bit
Samsung 850 500gb pro SSD
Corsair HX750 PSU
MSI GTX 970 GPU
Acer 144hz monitor

This post might sound silly, but I am still new to all of this. If I di need t adjust setting on either component where do I go and what do I want to check.

Acer GN246HL Black 24" 1ms 144hz HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor 350 cd/m2 100,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

I'm using the dvid cable it came with on mine and I had to go on displays options to set it to 144z. It was reading at 60hz b4

Where you able to set to 144hz from the settings on the monitor itself? Or do I need to go into the control panel and adjust the settings to 44hz?

So right out of he box right now it's 60hz ?

I assume 144hz is just sick compared to 60hz?

Got it set to 144hz. Holy crap! Some videos almost make me naucious and dizzy. Now I regret not buying 2 of these when new egg had them for $180.

If I do buy another 1. Do I need or is it rec. that j get another Msi 970? I believe my msi only has 1 DVI port? Or is it ok to connect to the vga, hdmi or display port with out sacraficing performance from the monitor and gpu?

Should be okay I believe, it should support multiple screens. I would personally forget about the VGA and use the HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI port (provided the DVI port is digital).

You can use DisplayPort and/or Dual-link DVI for 144hz @ 1080

HDMI doesn't support 144hz @ 1080

I currently run two of those monitors on a GTX 980, and because it only has one DVI output I'm using it as well as a DisplayPort and both monitors are 144hz.

When you're running a game make sure the games refresh is either set to 144hz or run the game in a borderless window mode and it uses the windows refresh rate setting like any other window.

When you're in Windows you don't need to set it to 144. Only need to set refresh to 144 in game.

Also, given any chance always use Display Port.

I didn't think the human eye could actually distinguish that sort of frequency range anyway, when I last viewed a 120Hz screen it didn't appear any smoother, but it just gave me a headache lol

Allegedly we can see up to about 150Hz I think, but from personal experience the hope from 60 to 120 or 144 was minimal.

Last edited:
It can and does, which is why it gave you a headache. Then again people who say they got nauseous just from a higher refresh on a monitor make me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom