Wireless Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewii

Beta member
Hey there everyone, first time user and post. Just hope I'm following the rules as I go, if not I apologize.

Scenario: I have just recently downgraded from Vista to XPS2 on my Toshiba Satelite L300 (PSLB8A) using killdisc to blank the hdd. I have installed (to my knowledge) all of the required drivers and it seems to be running fine. I have set up many PC's this way and they have all seemed to work out great.

Problem: I can't seem to get the Wireles adapter working. I'm not entirely sure what im doing wrong as I have never had to really setup or use any wireless systems. I have installed (what is said to be) the wireless driver from the Toshiba website, but there are actually quite a few matching my particular Laptop.

I also use Everest Ultimate (trial) to try and diognise problems of this nature. I don't know if this will help but under the Network/ PCI/PnP Network tree I have found “Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter”.

I have used CPUZ as told in a sticky thread.

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 1 per processor
Name Intel Celeron M
Code Name Merom
Specification Genuine Intel(R) CPU 585 @ 2.16GHz
Package Socket P (478)
Family/Model/Stepping 6.F.D
Extended Family/Model 6.F
Core Stepping M0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 2161.7 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 13.0 x 166.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed 665.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2166 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 1024 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge Intel GL40 rev. 07
Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) rev. 03
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 332.6 MHz (1:2)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks

System

System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Name Satellite L300
System S/N 29653760Q
Mainboard Vendor TOSHIBA
Mainboard Model Portable PC
BIOS Vendor INSYDE
BIOS Version 1.60
BIOS Date 12/23/2008

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

Really appreciate your help. :)

Go to device manager, check if you can see the wireless adapter there. If you can, does it say it's installed properly? Are there any exclamation points? Were the drivers you installed for xp?

Exactly how is the adapter not working? not working at all? Can't connect to networks? can't see networks? etc.

post back with a little more info and I'll be able to help you.

Hey thanks for your reply.

I have two issues in device manager. One is the sound driver, but I can fix that. The other is listed under "other devices" as "Ethernet Controller" (this is marked with an exclamation mark). I cant see anything there to do with my wireless adapter, unless I'm overseeing it. All drivers were for XP 100%.

The only thing I am able to do with the adapter is turn it on with the switch on the front of the laptop. No options in Network Connections. Normally there should be a little picture of a PC with waves next to it in the bottom right hand corner I think. Thats not available, and I can't see any option to make it available if it were just set to not show.

Thanks again for your reply.
Hopefully that was enough information.
If you need any images I'll be happy to upload them.

Go to the command prompt (start>run>type 'cmd' and press enter)
type 'ipconfig /all'

see if there's any mention of the wireless interface.

Windows IP Configuaration:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected

Hey there, problem solved!
Thanks for the effort, appreciate it.

I used a tool called DriverMax - an exellent tool if you have patience.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom