Why doesn't my BIOS detect my SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehGx1100

Solid State Member
I just won a new Intel SSD in a contest. I removed the old SATA hard drive from my laptop

and plugged in the new SSD. I turned on my laptop with a Windows 7 installation disk

inserted, booted from the Windows disk, and got the screen where it asks which drive to

install Windows onto. It said there were no drives detected.

Then I restarted the computer and went into the BIOS and tried to do a "Hard drive

diagnostic test" and it said "Hard drive not exist." The SSD also does not show up in the

list of bootable devices.

Next, I put my old hard drive back into my laptop and put the SSD in a USB SATA hard drive

enclosure. I plugged the enclosure into a USB port and loaded the BIOS again. I looked at

the list of bootable devices and the SSD was listed. Then I loaded Windows. Windows did

detect the SSD in the Disk Manager and from there I formatted the SSD. Now I am able to see

the SSD listed in My Computer as drive "I".

I tried replacing the hard drive with the SSD again and the BIOS still will not detect it.

It only detects it when it is plugged in through the USB enclosure. What do I need to do

to get it to detect the SSD normally (plugged into the SATA cable inside the laptop)?

Just in case, my laptop is a "HP 2000 Notebook PC", model number qe334ua.

Check your bios and change the sata from ide to ahci

Thank you for replying! I don't know how I can set that option. My BIOS has VERY limited options. All I can do is set the date/time, set a password, change the boot order, enable/disable booting from certain types of devices, and set a few other miscellaneous options.

If you have an oem computer, what brand name and model number is it?
If it's a custom build then what brand name and model number motherboard does it have?

If you have an oem computer, what brand name and model number is it?
If it's a custom build then what brand name and model number motherboard does it have?

My laptop is a "HP 2000 Notebook PC", model number qe334ua.

Okay, I guess that makes sense. I bought the laptop for $250 at Walmart on Black Friday, so I probably shouldn't expect much.

Yeah, sorry to say. I worked with several HP desktops over the years. They took out so many ports from the board and cut the BIOS to nothing. And these were once full fledged ASUS and ECS boards. I would expect much from their laptops.

Their business scheme, is to not be upgradable, if you want more, you have to either send it in or buy a new system. If the price is too good to be true, then the product probably is. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom