VMware

Studenttech1

Baseband Member
I am looking at various sites to see if I can find a free download for VMware. My class instructor is asking that we look into downloading it and then running the Linux (unbuntu) OS on it. This isn't mandatory, but he thinks it would be good for us to learn to use the various operating systems. I now have a new "extra" basic computer thanks to my family to monkey around on and do all this with. It currently has Windows 8 on it. It is an ASUS with some decent hardware in it.

I found this link and just wanted to make sure I downloaded the right thing.
See link: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads

I am looking under the link tab that says Desktop & End-User Computing. I just need to know if it is the VMworkstation that I need to download. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, VM workstation is what you want. It's a 30 day trial or something like that, right?

You should also get VM player. I don't remember if you can create VMs with it, but at the very least it can run the VMs you've created in workstation once the trial period expires.

The page you linked to has downloads for 60-day Free Trials of the various VMWare products. That means at the end of the 60 days you either have to uninstall the product or buy it.

For your purposes, I would suggest you download VMware Player which is free for non-commercial use and the license doesn't expire. Get it here: VMware Player

There is no problem creating VMs using VMware Player and it will work perfectly fine with Ubuntu.

VMware Workstation has some capabilities that VMware Player doesn't such as the ability to take a "snapshot" but for the most part VMware Player is very useful.

Another free product you should consider is: VirtualBox. It will also allow you to install Ubuntu in a VM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom