Video card/driver causing BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
This thing has me beat. It's an HP 2.8Ghz, 512 RAM. Getting BSOD with the typical video driver error. Boots to safe mode fine of course. So I have done the following:

download driver for onboard video. reboot. BSOD
remove driver for onboard card using driver cleaner pro. reboot. BSOD
use generic Windows driver for onboard card . reboot. BSOD
run Memtest. no errors
install video card I had laying around. install drivers. reboot. BSOD
buy brand new video card, install drivers, reboot. BSOD

Any suggestions?

I just hooked it up in my office and it's working fine.
Is it possible it has something to do with the LCD monitor? Right now it's got a CRT hooked up. And using no driver for the card.

The reason I asked for the detailed message was to see if it was really addressing the video driver as the issue. The actual monitor you have hooked up should not matter unless there is something wrong with your LCD monitor.

It's giving the 0x00000007f error and three other numbers that I can't remember. I will set it up tomorrow where it belongs and see if I get it again. Just don't see why it works now and didn't a few hours ago.

OK I get 0x0000007f
0x80042000
0x00000008
0x00000000
0x00000000

I have googled the errors and it makes my head hurt. The weirdest part is it works fine if it is NOT connected to the network. Disconnect the CAT-5 and it runs fine. Connect the cable and reboot, BAM BSOD. If I conenct the cable after login, it runs fine. This makes me think that there is an application that is running on startup causing the problem. Bad part is, it was working fine until yesterday when our corporate honks pushed out the new version of Symantec Endpoint. Which I HAVE to use. So really, can an anti virus cause these problems? And why does it only do it if I log in to the network? Without the network login we don't get some network shares mapped and can't run the apps from those shares. And it's only two machines that are doing this.

Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Cause

Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.

A double fault can occur when the kernel stack overflows. This overflow occurs if multiple drivers are attached to the same stack. For example, if two file system filter drivers are attached to the same stack and then the file system recurses back in, the stack overflows.

I would say that Symantec is causing this issue. Maybe a IRQ conflict with something on the network. Like a printer or something.

Sadly Symantec is part of the problem. It is apparently conflicting with other apps that run on startup and causing the instability. A reinstall of those apps as well as Symantec makes the problem weirder. Now it will run fine if I am logged in, but anybody else causes BSOD. Even someone with admin rights. TOmorrow I am installing the OS and apps on a different HD and going to see if that works. It's a long shot, but I haven't got many more options. Thank GOD it's only 2 machines and one isn't used but about once a month.

RESOLVED:
Turns out it was the linksys network card that was the culprit. Removed the card, installed an intel card, works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom