Very funky...audio hardware disappears!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cclpgapro

Beta member
This started out of nowhere. Computer will flicker, with the toolbar switching back and forth from XP to classic, about 4-6 times in about 2 seconds. At that point, my audio hardware disappears. I can try to open itunes and it says that there is a configuration problem and that audio will not operate. I then go to audio / sounds in the control panel and sure enough it says no device found. I can reboot and its back to normal. It may not do it again for a month, a week or it may do it within 2 minutes all over again.

A technician at Circuit City said that he has had several people bring in computers that have had the audio device disappear, but wasn't aware of the flickering between the two looks on the toolbar. He seems to think it may be a problem with itunes and a software glitch. I have definitelydetermined that the flicker and audio disappearing are associated, or at least happen simultaneously, because you can use audio prior to it happening and immediately after it flickers, you can try to open itunes or any other audio program and the computer cannot find the device. It has never quit working while itunes was on, just inbetween uses. System sounds work and never stop working, only audio from the standpoint of itunes, website streaming music / videos, etc.

I have formatted the hard drive and reinstalled only the factory cd's and itunes only. This did not help. I have Webroot and Norton (both current and up to date). According to the tech at CC, he said it sounded like one of two things: spyware or a corrupt windows operating system. Otherwise it would have to be itunes. I was told that if it were in fact spyware that was causing the problem that the full computer format that was done would have wiped it out, leaving me to believe that it may be a system issue.

Sorry for the length, but there are so many factors in this one. Anyone heard of anything like this happening? I hate to waste $100+ if anyone here can help me diagnose this. Not to mention the fact that they may not even be able to diagnose and it may get sent to Toshiba, anyway. Thanks a lot for your input and replies. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom