Unstable signal after installing video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikan

Beta member
Hello,

I have a computer that's been used for office tasks so far and wanted to upgrade it a bit soi I could play a few (old) PC games.

So I'm trying to install a PCI video card on my PC, but after trying 3 different cards I never got a stable signal and am not sure what to do.
Right now, I have a GeForce 6200 PCI DDR128 (from Buffalo). My PC is one of those "brand PC" (from Hitachi), it has an integrated video chip and no AGP or PCIE port, hence the need to get PCI.

The specs are:
Pentium 4 2.40GHz
704MB RAM
chipset: SiS650+SiS961
motherboard is "Wistron S86JA" apparently

After putting the video card in, the signal I get is unstable, I get a picture then a black screen then a signal again, etc. Although things are fine in safe mode.
I've tried a Radeon and another GeForce card before and I had the same symptoms, and I've tested them on both PCI of my ports.
The card I have now is listed as compatible with my PC model on the maker's site.

I tried to update to the latest drivers for my machine, but I'm not sure what I should update for the video card (bios?). I'm not very familiar with installing video cards as I've used my computer mostly for office and browsing so far, so maybe I'm missing something vital.
What could be wrong and what can I do?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
Thanks for your time.

Is this an old accelerator or is it a PCI card? Try to disable onboard in the bios. Also, you may want to try a clean driver install. Basically, go into desktop properties the display, advanced and change the adapter type. You want to set it to standard PCI graphic adapter (VGA). Then either find instances of the PCI cards driver files (MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING HERE!!!!) from the system files and the registry. If your unsure, look for a driver cleaner for your particular card. After that reboot. Oh, and yes the display will look like crap. Thats because your using a standard graphics driver. Now that you've completely removed all traces of the driver, set the display to standard graph drivers (VGA, generic one) and, if applicable, disabled the onboard in the bios install a downloaded driver for your card. That should do it.

Just when I decided to post for help, I managed to solve my problem somehow... I solved it by upgrading the BIOS and uninstalling then reinstalling the Nvdia drivers. Thanks for the help though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom