Unable to create New partition for Unallocated Space

ridorii

Solid State Member
Hello there,

To give you some background as to what happened, it started with my PC acting up like unable to load application as simple as notepad and sticky notes without having to wait minutes.

I didn't want to assume it's hard drive failure right away so I downloaded a bootable Windows 7 to my flash drive, tried to install it to my C parition of about 40gb. then the "the selected disk has an MBR partition table..." error appeared. I thought deleting the C partition will allow me to install but it didn't. the partition remained as an allocated space. Maybe that move was stupid and what started this. I feel sorry for myself.

Nothing happens when I try to create New partition from that 40gb "Drive 0 Unallocated Space".

I followed a guide on how to convert MBR to GPT but it will only allow me to select allocated partitions such as the System Reserve and the drive D which where I saved my files.

to Summarize:
• 40gb Unallocated Space - nothing happens when creating NEW partition
• MBR to GPT conversion process won't allow me to select unallocated space.
• I currently do not have an installed OS

Please let me know if you need further details which can help fix this issue.

Thank you ALL.

Can this be used while I'm on the Windows 7 Installation menu? (the part where I can select which partition will I install the OS ?

No. Download it and either burn it to disk or set it up as a bootable USB on another computer. Boot into it and use it to delete the partitions and then format it as NTFS. Once you do that then you can install Windows. I have used GParted for years and it is great.

I did that and got the same error.

"windows detected that the efi system partition was formatted as ntfs. format the efi system partition as fat32."

So far I've tried reformatting the 40gb partition as NTFS, I get "windows detected that the efi system partition was formatted as ntfs. format the efi system partition as fat32."
Then I tried reformatting the partition as FAT32, I get the error that I need to format the disk as NTFS to install Windows.

I'm currently in a loop here.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I would just zero out the drive (write all zero's) with something like killdisk,
Active@ KillDisk Freeware for Personal Home Use
This will remove all partitions and file systems. It will be as if the drive were in a new state, as like when you first buy them. From there you should be able to do your install and set up any partitions as you like too.

At this point, I would just zero out the drive (write all zero's) with something like killdisk,
This will remove all partitions and file systems. It will be as if the drive were in a new state, as like when you first buy them. From there you should be able to do your install and set up any partitions as you like too.

This is basically what I suggested with GParted. Use it to delete all the partitions; this will return the disk to its raw condition. Then use GParted to create a new partition using the NTFS file format. Here's a guide for using it:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

This is basically what I suggested with GParted. Use it to delete all the partitions; this will return the disk to its raw condition. Then use GParted to create a new partition using the NTFS file format. Here's a guide for using it:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Thanks. Will do this.

Back
Top Bottom