Troubleshooting for a friend - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Troubleshooting for a friend

Hi All - been awhile since I've been here. Hoping you can help me help a friend. He built a computer on quarantine and has been having some issues. His specs are as follows:

ASRock B450M Steel Legend motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
4x4gb [16 total] Viper DDR4 2666hz ram
RX 5700 GPU

His main issue currently is that windows and his BIOS recognize that there are 16GB of ram; however, Windows says only 7.9GB are usable. He is running 64 bit windows 10. He has done the windows memory tests and everything has come back fine. Does anyone have any ideas why only half of his RAM is usable?

We did troubleshoot and verified that all 4 sticks can run 4x2 for a total of 8GB.

A few years back I had a similar issue and it turned out that my CPU was not running in dual channel or not all of the cores were engaged (sorry for my lack of technical expertise, going based off what I vaguely remember microcenter telling me the issue was). When I swapped out my CPU, then I had all 16GB (admittedly I can't remember if it said I had 16GB anywhere or if it just said 8GB).

I am wondering if there is a way to trouble shoot the CPU or am open to any suggestions at this point as to what else this could be.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: It says his usable RAM is 7.9GB and "hardware reserved memory" is 8.1GB. I have no idea what that means.

Second Edit: he did what a lot of the youtube videos out there said to do in terms of unlocking the hardware reserved memory and that did not work either.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
i2D
i 2 D 2

Default Re: Troubleshooting for a friend

"hardware reserved memory" this is likely due to the motherboard and RAM installation configuration.

Please read the mobo manual. Sounds like the RAM is inserted into the wrong channels.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I don't think that is the issue, as he only has 4 RAM slots and has a RAM stick in each one.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Have you tried one stick of RAM at a time? Two sticks? It may be that the mobo doesn't play nicely with that particular brand or set (been there). Here's the supported RAM list for that board using Pinnacle Ridge CPU:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M%...gend/#MemoryPR
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
3xSceptre E255B-1658A 24.5" 165Hz + NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 19" (in 3+1 configuration)

R.I.P. Father Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

We have tried one stick at a time and two sticks, every stick works under that configuration.

The Patriot Viper RAM that he has isn't specifically listed on the link you provided. I have never heard of that being an issue before. Based on the fact 1 stick and 2 sticks will work just fine do you still think the RAM just might not be supported?

Thanks again,

Garret
Old 05-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

I have never seen unsupported RAM but it is possible the other thing I have seen is that the version of windows 10 you have only supports 8gb of RAM
Old 05-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Last I knew... windows 10 64 does support more than 8 gb of memory.
You could try something to see which memory slots are and are not being recognized, with CPUZ you should get an option like this:

That may help you to diagnose what is going on with each memory slot.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
You can use the free version
Old 05-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
i2D
i 2 D 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
We have tried one stick at a time and two sticks, every stick works under that configuration.

The Patriot Viper RAM that he has isn't specifically listed on the link you provided. I have never heard of that being an issue before. Based on the fact 1 stick and 2 sticks will work just fine do you still think the RAM just might not be supported?

Thanks again,

Garret
well you kinda answered your question, and as Trotter said, RAM sets may not be compatible with the mobo/ or atleast order you set them in the channels.

Have you confirmed the mobo manual to cross this off the list?

I take it you dont have spare RAM to test with?
Old 05-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D View Post
well you kinda answered your question, and as Trotter said, RAM sets may not be compatible with the mobo/ or atleast order you set them in the channels.

Have you confirmed the mobo manual to cross this off the list?

I take it you dont have spare RAM to test with?
This is true and those early AMD4 cpu's were very finicky about the memory too, cause many headaches with many peeps.
Possibly a bios update may or may not provide a fix for that?
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M%...20Legend/#BIOS
Old 05-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

I just checked and the max RAM on most of the 64 bit windows 10s is 128gb