Smoking Motherboard

If it was me I would continue to use it after stress testing everything to ensure stability. My guess is it probably arched and that left a bit of black on the board.

You'd be surprised how much damage a board can take and still run. I had someone bring a board to me that got a lightning hit on the ethernet. The board was burnt black and totally toasted where the ethernet chip was on the board but the damn thing still booted up and worked! I put a pci ethernet card in it and it ran fine.
I could not believe it and instantly gave it up for dead when I first saw the damage

You'd be surprised how much damage a board can take and still run. I had someone bring a board to me that got a lightning hit on the ethernet. The board was burnt black and totally toasted where the ethernet chip was on the board but the damn thing still booted up and worked! I put a pci ethernet card in it and it ran fine.
I could not believe it and instantly gave it up for dead when I first saw the damage
The ehternet on my nF2 Ultra (2600+ setup in my sig) was surged. The switch blew up and it went straight to my board. It automatically shut down and I had no idea what happened. Ethernet since has been dead but the board still works perfectly fine to this day. Nothing as extreme as the board actually being shorted out though.

I'm no electronics engineer or expect so wouldn't be able to tell you besides give an educated guess. You could still post and maybe somebody else could confirm but if it still works I'm still thinking it just arched.

Back
Top Bottom