Power Issue or Mobo Issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloggydog

Beta member
Here's an interesting one I've not come across before

We've just upgraded a 3yo pc with new RAM, new HDD. Fitted those no problem and all was working fine for a couple of weeks, then it just died on us.

When switched on via the push-button on the front of the case, the PSU and CPU fans fire for half a second or so, then stop.

There's a small LED next to the motherboard power socket which lights up when this happens.

While this LED is lit, repeated switching of the main switch has no effect, and this LED won't extinguish until the mains power is cut.

Once the mains power is cut and reset, the same thing happens on switching on - CPU and PSU fans turn for half a sec, then nothing.

We thought it might be a psu issue, so swapped out the psu for a new one, but with the same result.

Any ideas folks??

Possibly mobo, the little LED light (i believe) is to tell you that your mobo is receiving power. My LED light is on as long as the PSU is on.

"There's a small LED next to the motherboard power socket which lights up when this happens."

What do you mean by this? When what happens?

"What do you mean by this? When what happens?"

sorry, expanded explaination:

when the main power button is pushed, this LED comes on, even though the fans stop within a half a sec. The LED then stays on until the mains power is pulled, when it dims and goes out a few seconds after mains power is pulled.

Everything sounds like a normal motherboard LED except the part "when the main power button is pushed, this LED comes on". So this light NEVER comes on when the power is connected until you press the power button? So for example, your computer is off, power is off, you plug the power into your psu, turn the psu on, this LED doesn't turn on? And then you press the power button and THEN this light turns on?

If that's the case, I think there may be a problem with your motherboard. If you can get a friend's motherboard or something then you can test.

Try using the PSU or get someone motherboard to try it on and if the PSU works then it's the motherboard but I fell the problem is your motherboard.

A+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom