Nothing Happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durftard

In Runtime
I received my E2180 from NewEgg yesterday(finally upgraded from my old P4). Installed it, and computer worked fine. CPU-Z, however, recorded my CPU's speed at 1.6 Ghz instead of 2.0 Ghz. After some digging around, I figured it was due to the C1E or EIST settings in the BIOS(I planned on OC'ing anyway (first time), and had read in multiple guides that these are power saving settings and lower the CPU's freq. when it's not under stress?). I went into my BIOS, but I couldn't find the EIST setting. I did some looking and decided I needed to update my BIOS(was using the stock BIOS version... 1.0?). I visited MSI's site, and used their "Live Update" utility. It wanted to update my BIOS to version 1.5. It ran a command line installation, then rebooted. Then nothing happened.

When I press the power button, the green mobo LED's come on (in addition to the orange-ish ones that are always on), all the fans spin up (psu, case, vid, cpu), the harddrive lights up momentarily (a fraction of a second), and my CD drive lights up for about a second. Then nothing happens.

System has been running fine for about 4 months now. The heatsink is seated correctly (with AS5). The memory was running perfectly beforehand. I tried resetting the CMOS(with the on-board CMOS reset button), but it didn't help.

System specs
mobo: msi p6n sli platinum
cpu: e2180 dual core 2ghz w/ a tuniq tower 120
psu: 520w HX corsair
ram: 2x 1gb G.skill PC6400
vid card: 8800 gts 320mb

Well I may be able to help, as I have also updated my BIOS through the live update software. Did you make a backup floppy as instructed?

I did it via the "windows environment" setting, something like that, because I haven't got a floppy drive installed in this machine.

So... no :/

edit ::: Would that have made a difference, though? Absolutely nothing loads onscreen

edit ::: Would that have made a difference, though? Absolutely nothing loads onscreen

Sorry didnt see that bit.

Well this sounds bad. A corrupt BIOS usually means RMA. But if the board is under warranty, it should be okay to RMA, seeing as you did it with their software.

This seems so simple I could be wrong, but I think I'm right.
Reset your CMOS.

If that doesn't work you might have to do an RMA; unless you have another computer that you could download the latest BIOS version again to a floppy and the install it manually.

I reset the CMOS using the on-board reset switch (I think they replaced the CMOS reset jumper with this?) and nothing happened afterwards. I haven't tried removing the battery yet because to get to it I have to unmount the mobo, and mounting/remounting in my case (Antec 900) is a ***** with the Tunic Tower.

I'll try removing the battery to reset CMOS today after school. How long should I leave it out for?

edit ::: MSI Tech Support replied this morning:
MSI Tech Support said:
Dear Customer, Please first go ahead and clear the CMOS using the SW1 button, be sure to unplug the power cord when clear CMOS. If issue persists then disconnect all power connectors to the board then remove the CMOS battery leave board as is for about 10min then put CMOS battery back in connect all power to board and power on. But if a bad flash did occur then you will need to send the board in under an RMA so the bios can be reprogrammed. Thank you.

If it comes to RMA, how long does this usually take? Sorry I've never had to do anything like this before.

Thanks for all your help.

i dont think removing the battery will help... sorry! it will reset the cmos, but the problem is you've upgrading it and that upgrade have overwritten the existing cmos... worth a try though... you only need to remove it for about 10secs, just long enough for the power to drain... if it doesnt work you will have to return the mob as there's no way round it... as for time period, it all comes down to the manufactors... worth emailing them and finding out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom