New build issues

iRaizen

Solid State Member
I'm sorry if this is lengthy. Please bare with me.

So my friend just got a new mobo, cpu, ram and we switched it out but once we got to the user login screen the mouse and keyboard weren't functioning. After a 30secs or so we got a bsod.

0x0000003B (0x0000000C0000096, 0xFFFFF880p465800E, 0xFFFFF88002A3AE00, 0x0000000000000000)

We tried to google search if anyone had similar issues and a bunch pointed that the 0x3B error was corrupted drivers. Apparently there was a hotfix for it but Microsoft took it down and said upgrade to windows 10 (friend has windows 7). We installed his old build, updated all of his drivers, put in the new build, checked if we could login, still had the same bsod.
Then we put back his old build and tried upgrading to windows 10 but the Windows tool said his computer cannot be upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.

(OLD)
Intel i5-4440
Asus H81M-K LGA 1150
8GB RAM (4GBx2) DDR3 1600mhz
500watt Corsiar PSU
GTX 1060 6GB
1TB Harddrive (400GB Free)

(NEW)
Ryzen 1500X
Gigabyte B450m DS3H AM4
16GB RAM (8GBx2) DDR4 3000Mhz
500watt Corsair PSU
GTX 1060 6GB
1TB Harddrive (400GB Free)

Now we're stuck and unsure where to go from here. He said he's willing to buy the Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM but doesn't know if he'll be able to install it on his hard drive.

1. Can not understand anything. Did you just swap those things (mobo, cpu, ram) on the same motherboard? And You did nothing else? Not even the BIOS did update (of course, if such an exchange is at all possible - I very much doubt it is possible, because details, what You gave let very deeply doubt, that it is possible).

2. The second thing You said - there was Windows 7 installed and You want to upgrade? It should be possible without any problems with this(those) processor(s). And if there was before installed and activated Windows 7 then You don't need to buy any key, this upgrade is free for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users.

If you replaced the motherboard/CPU without any prep to the hard drive then of course it is going to BSOD on you. Intel's and AMD's chipsets are completely different so Windows crapped the bed. If you can get it running again in the original hardware you need to sysprep it before swapping it over. If that fails you will probably be looking at a reinstall.

People have had success with getting Ryzen with Windows 7, but it takes some effort.
With the Ryzen Raven Ridge APU's... ain't going to happen at all with windows 7.
With 7 coming closer and closer to EOL, it's really not worth that much trouble to get 7 onto a Ryzen cpu.

Gigabyte does provide support for Windows 7 on the download page for that mobo...
Windows USB Installation Tool
(Note) Support AMD X470/B450 series motherboards.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility

Last edited:
yup, the op should do a clean install of 10 with the same version of his windows 7 key, and then use the windows 7 key to validate the windows 10 install to get a digital license.

Back
Top Bottom