Months of random BSODs, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swam31

Solid State Member
Hi,

So ever since I got my PC about 9 months ago I've been having random BSODs. Normally my computer will go for a week or two without any problems, then I will begin to think that somthing I changed has fixed the problem, until BSOD!!! and then another 10 or so BSODs on the same day, and I start going through the four stages of grief that I have identified:
1. Disappointment,
2. Anger,
3. Considering paying huge postage costs to send it all the way back to the shop I brought it from which is in another state, and
4. Thinking I have fixed the problem by making some change to my computer.

I've been through this emotional roller coaster about 20 times and I am becoming a psychological wreck.

So basically my computer runs fine for a few weeks then becomes unusable for a few days because of constant BSODs. The stop errors don't seem tho have anything in common. I've look at all the crash dumps and they always list different drivers in the stack. I've replaced all my USB devices (at some expense), tested the RAM and HDD several times, tried changing the slots the RAM is in, and changed all my clock setting so that that me system is actually running below spec (after trying it as spec for quite a while).

I've tried loads of other things too with no success.

If anyone can help me here I would be soooo grateful. The minidump files are here if anyone can work out what is going on from them.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

sounds like a motherboard problem or a hard drive problem.
do u have another computer in ur house ? which is usable ? if so take that hard drive out and plug it into yours and then u can see if that is the problem.

also do you know much about computers ?
would you be able to list your computer specs down.

example what kind of ram you have motherboard power supply processor graphics card.

I've run Windows the hard drive test utility - it didn't find any errors but I formatted my hard drive anyway and reinstalled everything - that was about two months ago. I don't have another desktop in my home so can't switch the hard drive over.

I was beginning to think it was a mother board error too, simply because I've tested the RAM and HDD, and processor errors are not likely. What makes you think it's a mobo problem?

My specs are:
i7 950 (1366)
6gb DDR3 RAM - 3 x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G sticks
Mobo: Gigabyte X58-UD3R (rev. 2)
Video card: Nvidia GTX 460
Power supply: Coolermaster 500w ATX 12v v2.3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1tb

Do I know much about computers? More than the average person but I;;m certainly not an expert. I've never had a computer problem I couldn't solve before, but his one is driving me mad!

yes i am certainly no expert either, nice system specs. i dont really have aclue now. another tech forum member will probably be able to sort this issue out.

A 500w power supply for a i7 LGA1366, GTX460 system is weak.

The GTX460 requires a minimum of a 450w power supply capable of 38 amps on the +12v rail. The Cooler Master 500w power supply meets the 450w requirement but it only supplies 18 amps on each of it's (2) +12v rails. 18 amps times 2 = 36 amps which is below the recommended requirements.

Would the power supply problem explain why it often works for weeks then has several crashes in a short time period. I also think the crashes tend to happen after prolonged use, for example after it has been on for most of the day. Is this consistent with the power supply explanation?

If so we might be onto something. The power supply came with my case which is also a Cooler master (if that is at all relevant).

Have I run Memtest? Yes, several times, it never detects any errors. I've even run it with my RAM timings slightly higher than the reccomended settings - still no probs.
When I first started having the BSODs I though it was RAM, and when I took in back into the shop they replaced all the RAM but it didn't fix the problem.

it kind of does. your power wattage is to low for your system, go out and buy a cheap 120 dollar Power supply make sure its Corsair as its a really good brand and is cheap. around 650 wattage, same as mine is perfect for your system.

though it may not be your power supply.

This info on my graphics card says that I only need 24 amps...

I really don't know how likely it is that my PSU is responsible for my BSODs.

I'd buy a new one, but my computer is still under warranty, its just that I would have to send it interstate to get it back to the shop I bought it from. And since my PSU seems to meet my system's requirements, I don't want to spend my hard earned cash just yet.

Dont fear, you dont have to shell out all that cash b4 knowing for sure just yet... Just remove your GFX card and run your PC on Integrated GFX for a while... If it runs fine, then you'll know its your PSU (or a minor possibility of it being ur gfx card) but it seems pretty realistic that it is your PSU as 500w is not much for a system of your spec.

So just remove your graphics card and leave the PC on for a few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom