MB beeps, CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BottleRocket

Baseband Member
So my comp. is a couple years old, but I need to last just until I can upgrade again soon. It is a Biostar M7NCD. I just bought three new case fans and an Arctic Silver 5. So after I took the mobo out, and applied the AS5, following the directions as best as I could, I got beeps after I put everything back together and turned it back on. Now I know how to check the BIOS, and find the beep codes to see what it wrong, but it doesn't match. On the mobo it says that it uses Phoenix BIOS, but the beeps it was giving me didn't match the codes. I am getting a continuous alternating high and low frequency beeps....and that seems to match with Award BIOS codes. I also checked the Biostar website, but it didn't say which BIOS that old mobo ran.

That code for high/low beeps by Award says it is a bad CPU. Could I have applied the AS5 wrong? Could I fix the CPU I have or should I just spend like $50 and get a new Socket A CPU to last me until I get my full upgrade?

i dont think you applied the silver wrong, but if the beep codes are giving you bad cpu, you could have damaged the cpu in the way you handled it while appling the silver. maybe one of the pins are bent, it could have recieved some static shock which is very bad. check to see if you connected to cpu fan right, some mother boards wont boot with out it hooked up and give you error codes.

Well, it could be. The directions said to clean off the processor of old thermal compound. It suggested some certain alcohol to use, but I didn't have that. I just used a knife edge and with precise control, I would scrap off the old stuff, then I used a lint-free cloth to wipe it down. I got most of it off the best I could. But there could have been something when I reattached the HS/fan......thanks....

that mite have been your problem, personally id never put a knife to a cpu, they are pretty fragile and that mite have caused the damage to it. and for future reference, getting off the old thermal paste is never that much of a priority though alittle of it on there is not big deal. you only need to wipe the old stuff off a little.

Well I figured out what the problem was....kinda. When I took off the HS/Fan again, I noticed that the copper shim around the CPU was bent slightly and not on properly. So I bent it back to its normal shape and put everything back together. When I turned on my comp, the HD was working like I said in one of my other posts......but I noticed when I was on the boot screen....the CPU temperature steadily rose until about 74C, then it shut down and I got the same high/low frequency beeps like a got before. What happened???? Is it the Silver?

Is the fan spinning? Is the CPU making full contact with the heatsink with silver in between?

Dan

i think you just broke your cpu, i mean it was bent and you bent it back, any of that force isnt good for the millions of transistors in the cpu.

No, I never bent the CPU. The removable copper shim around it was bent slightly, so I bent it back into shape and placed it back around the edge of the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom