Issues issues issues. Vista-64bit. 9600GT's in SLI. 4GB Vista problems. Oy Vey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
This has been my most interesting/time consuming build I've ever done. I was stoked on it. First time I litterally assembled a full computer. I've built many computers in my time, but this was the first time I also assembled the case.

I finally got everything up and running Saturday. That's when the first problem came up-

Started installing and after the first restart, i get a BSOD! I googled the code and found out that even in Vista 64-bit you can't install it with over 3GB in some cases. So I took one stick of 2GB out, and still had issues. I checked the BIOS, and the RAM was getting undervolted and was running at 5-5-5-15. I changed it back to factory settings, 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V. Then I downloaded the hotfix for Vista-64bit for 4GB of ram, popped in the other stick, and I was good to go.

Downloaded AVG and actually paid for everything. Sure I could have gone with the free edition. I've used AVG for years and recommend it to everyone, and they make a great product, plus they've got to make money somehow. That's probably the only thing that's gone smoothly so far.

I started getting Run DLL errors out of no where. If this was before or after installing SP1, I don't know. But it happeneds now and again.

Now game time right? Wrong. I haven't tried more then about 5 games out so far, but Gears of War and Lost Planet have had some odd issues.

GoW apparently has known issues with SLI and 64-bit, so I'll have to check out some hotfixes for it. Anyone of you have an issue? I can get into it, and sometimes it'll crash from a few seconds to a couple minutes of being in the game. My game settings have nothing to do with it either, it even happened at first.

And Lost Planet was being really weird at first. When it first booted up it displayed all weird. It'd show on the screen, but it'd appear in 4 boxes on the screen, and now it does it now and again.

Portal, Supreme Commander, and even Diablo II work great though.

I was nervous about it SLI was working properly or not. This is the first time I've gone with a SLI set-up and have been a bit weary about it. But in Ntune you can make it so you get SLI displayed in game and shows you the load between the two cards, so I know it is in fact working.

And finally, my 3DMark06 is only JUST under 12k. Granted, nothings overclocked, and I'm sure once I do start to OC, I'll see mucho improvments. But only under 12k? Pretty sure my last rig that was quite similar, scored above 10,700 or so, and that was with an 8800GT.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much? I don't know. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a 9800GX2 or waiting for the 9800GTX's to hit the streets.

Have any of you had any issues that are similar to the ones I'm experiencing?

You'll see huge improvements in 3dmark when you oc your quad. But yes, i also had issues with gears crashing on my rig. I shelved it for a few weeks and the 2nd time around it ran perfect. I also had the BSOD issue while installing vista 64. No clue on the dll errors though.

Oh wow, well thanks for the reply V-dub, it's good to know I'm not the only one.

I think the dll errors may just be something went wrong with the install. I'll probably pick up the WC kit sooner then later, I really wanna OC it. I think I may pick up a good heatsink for the time being, I disslike running the stock one.

I'm hoping to hit atleast 13k with my proc oc'd and the ram oc'd. I'll run a 1:1 if I can or see how far the RAM can go for bandwidth sake.

Nice 3DMark score by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom